[In-goal] Question on position of 5-metre scrum

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If the defender takes the ball into the in-goal and grounds the ball the scrum 5 is in line with the grounding. (22.7)

If the defender takes the ball into the in-goal and put the ball into touch in-goal or over the dead ball line 22.11 applies. However it only says:

If the ball was played into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking team throws in the ball.

Where would you make the mark?
I think I would go in line with where the ball crossed the dead ball line 5m in from touch.

If the defender kicks a ball through his own dead ball we presumably go for a scrum 5 - again I would assume in line with where the ball crossed the dead ball line or 5m in from touch.

There is no option to have a scrum at the place of the kick as that specifically applies to an attacking player.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its a minor omission in the Law book, but I think if you set the scrum 5m out and in line where the ball crossed the DBL, no-one will question it. This doesn' quite cover it, but its close

[LAWS]Law 22.7 (e) If a defending team has put the ball into their own in-goal and a defending player kicks the
ball so that is charged down in in-goal and then made dead, the attacking side is awarded a
5-metre scrum in line with where the ball is made dead and they throw in the ball.[/LAWS]

If the ball is made by any defender after the ball has been taken into the in-goal either by running into or kicking into TiG, I think you will have to come 15m in from the that touch for the 5m scrum.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As he said ^^^^

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In 15 as that is where the scrum is for a knock on in the line-out - which is reasonable.
But a scrum can be within 5m of touch for other offences.

I think I could probably sell either of those.
But you are possibly right - of course we do not know.
Fortunately it does not happen that often.

As ever because we think we know what the laws are - we miss where it leaves things out or fails to make it clear.
Getting a good copy editor who does not play rugby to edit the laws would be instructive as it would point out all these little omissions.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my instinct is that for a ball taken into TIG, I'd be giving the scrum 5m from touchline.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
my instinct is that for a ball taken into TIG, I'd be giving the scrum 5m from touchline.

You'd probably be right

[LAWS]20.1 FORMING A SCRUM
(a) Where the scrum takes place. The place for a scrum is where the infringement or stoppage happened, or as near to it as is practicable in the field of play, unless otherwise stated in Law.

(b) If this is less than 5 metres from a touchline, the place for the scrum is 5 metres from that
touchline
. A scrum can take place only in the field of play. The middle line of a scrum must
not be within 5 metres of the goal line when it is formed.

(c) If there is an infringement or stoppage in in-goal, the place for the scrum is 5 metres from
the goal-line. The scrum is formed in line with the infringement or stoppage.[/LAWS]
The highlighted part of (b) might have been better tacked on at the end of (c)