Questionable New Kit for Fall Season

RussRef

Referees in America
Post Likes
So I arrived home yesterday to find a package bearing my society's new kit for this season. Is it just me, or do I risk becoming a laughingstock if I actually wear this?

New Kit.jpg

Have at it, gents.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It's Akuma so it's going to be decent quality. It looks reasonable enough. I can't see the problem. As long as your boots are black of course.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's a reason we went for black shorts and socks in SoCal!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Yikes. What's wrong with White, with the provinces/clubs colours as trim?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh mate.

your kit guy fell for the Akuma disco outfit.

See also: Referee Society of Virginia, 2009.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I've seen far worse.....

I'll second that comment.
Our kit is Purple and Silver. Not that tough, rugged purple as worn on the cover of the 2013 Law book, more like melancholy mauve or limp lilac. The comments from players and spectators have failed to subside as the season draws to a close. Where is the respect that referees are supposed to get? Oh the humanity!!!!
Can't post a pic, the mental anguish is just too great.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Find it hard to feel sorry for refs that actually get their kit issued! :) I'm borrowing most of my kit from other ref's & ref coaches since Kooga won't run a small volume manufacturing run for us.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At least you won't clash with anyone else...

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
We had worse a couple of years ago purple and yellow but it doesn't clash with any team in the county. The two most memorable comments were
1 as I ran onto the pitch for a local derby "f*cking hell ciaran you look like a bruised banana"
2 returning to the same club a few weeks later I featured in the programme notes
Today our visitors will be in red and white hoops, we will be in our usual blue and the referee will be in prunes and custard! Priceless

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Looks OK; at least you won't clash.

A couple of years ago Berkshire went with a dayglo yellow!

I have just moved Society - due to house and job move - and been introduced to a new concept; paying for kit! Wonder how long I can get away with my old society kit ?- or some RugbyRefs kit.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
image.jpg

Not the most flattering of strips I'm sure you'll agree......... Granted, due to a torn MCL I had put a few pounds on before this pic........

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
You poor thing - a brand new, complete set of matching society kit, delivered to your door! That must be awful. Some of us buy our own kit at society meetings from a kit man who only has XS or XXL kits that don't match and are all at least five years old!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One just hopes that sponsors never hit on the idea of 'kit' for Observers.

or that your SADO doesn't get similar ideas :biggrin:

my RFU black Gilbert top is fine and if we get a sponsor or RFU funding I would love to get similar for all the Society's Observers with a discrete Society logo on it.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't know you're born!! We wore blue serge shorts, shirt with collar and an old blazer! At least we were warm and the blazer had pockets for essentials like packet of fags etc...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The shirt is fine, it's the matching shorts that are a problem. :nono:

In Warwickshire I have been issued a new shirt (bright yellow) due to having done 25 games last season. Plus two vouchers to spend at Akuma. The number of games for a £10 voucher is 25 – 30 and for a £15 voucher it is more than 30 games.

Oh, and a three in one Akuma Jacket for my role as referee coach/advisor.

I am also waiting on a new set of kit from the RN Society.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The only kit I have been given was a green XXL jersey from the Iowa society branded for the 2010 All-Iowa tournament. I got it in 2011.

When CARFU does kit orders, the society fronts the cost, but then the cost is docked from your end-of-season remittance. This year, I ordered a kit bag that I could fit in.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Find it hard to feel sorry for refs that actually get their kit issued! :) I'm borrowing most of my kit from other ref's & ref coaches since Kooga won't run a small volume manufacturing run for us.

What area are you from and how many refs Jarrod?
Our gear came from Team Spirit. Whilst I can't fault the fit and quality, I'm sure they would have better colours available than what we have.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I may add that I paid for the prunes and custard outfit. Never been given any free kit. It's grim up north