Questions on the new Scrum laws

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I am right in assuming even though the scrum half can stand a little bit to the side, he still has to put the ball in straight so that at least part of the ball has to touch the imaginary centre line of the scrum so that law hasn't changed.
I wonder ids we will ever see not straight given in the top flight?

Not my reading - it has to be straight, not fed to the second/back rows, so parallel to the goal line (assuming scrum set correctly). If the ball is thrown towards the centre line from the new position, the ball will travel forwards. I assumed this was to give even more advantage to the 'striking' hooker.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I am right in assuming even though the scrum half can stand a little bit to the side, he still has to put the ball in straight so that at least part of the ball has to touch the imaginary centre line of the scrum

that#s not what the requirement says though. the best I can see is that ball travels parallel to the centre line. But a wide shouldered scrum half "straight" put in could easily be "short" of the actual centre line for some scrum halves

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=2&language=EN

half a ball length along its long axis is 15 centimetres.

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The laws still say this, 20.6
(b)
The scrum half must hold the ball with both hands, with its major axis parallel to the ground and to the touchline over the middle line between the front rows, mid-way between knee and ankle.
Sanction: Free Kick

(c)
The scrum half must throw in the ball at a quick speed. The ball must be released from the scrum half’s hands from outside the tunnel.

(d)
The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle line, so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the width of the nearer prop’s shoulders.

Seems clear to me, some of it should touch the middle line

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well that also says

"with its major axis parallel to the ground and to the touchline over the middle line between the front rows"

which either means the SH can stand as per the new laws but hold the ball to his left somewhere nearer his left shoulder/left leg to put it in... or that is now redundant.

We all know the 12 year old doesn't do joined up lawmaking

didds

didds

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
(b)
The scrum half must hold the ball with both hands, with its major axis parallel to the ground and to the touchline over the middle line between the front rows, mid-way between knee and ankle.

(c)
The scrum half must throw in the ball at a quick speed. The ball must be released from the scrum half’s hands from outside the tunnel.

(d)
The scrum half must throw in the ball straight along the middle line, so that it first touches the ground immediately beyond the width of the nearer prop’s shoulders.

Seems clear to me, some of it should touch the middle line

I would certainly expect to interpret 20.6 (d) as being replaced in entirety by the new wording.

As such, the ball is to come in straight and can now touch the ground as soon as it is in the tunnel thus allowing the NSP to strike if he so chooses.

However , the SH being able to stand to his own side, effectively legitimises the feed via the back door. As if we were too stupid to notice by the use of some 'cute' wording!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
20.6 (b) as regards having to be over the middle line is also repealed, I think.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
20.6 (b) as regards having to be over the middle line is also repealed, I think.

Doesn't explicitly say it, but SH certainly wouldn't reasonably be able to manage both.

As with the changes to the line of touch laws (where it has taken a whole year to incorporate the correct revised wording in respect of 22.9 b-e, to be consistent with the intention of the trial), it will again take some time for revisions to filter into the laws such that there aren't remaining contradictions such as this.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
(b)

I'm astounded how many times I have to 'coach' a 9 on this law. I usually let the first weird feed style go, then tell them what they should be doing. The look of pure astonishment and bewilderment always amuses me. This is in adult rugby btw.....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I played scrum half. If he wants to angle it ever so slightly so that when he drops it it bounces to his hooker...well done son.