Quick restart after stoppage (Sarries-Sharks)

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Situation: Attackers have a maul pulled down about 5m from the goal line. Referee stops play for a penalty and to sin-bin the offender. An attacker goes down to a knee just in front of the mark.

Referee deals with miscreant, walks slowly back to the mark. No whistle, no signal. Injured player is still down on a knee, and is now receiving attention. Attacker takes the ball, wanders up to the mark. No whistle, no signal. Attacker takes a tap penalty and spins the ball wide. Defenders are onside and in a line, but completely flat-footed, and the attackers go over virtually unopposed in the corner.

Referee awards try, and says by way of explanation "I hadn't stopped anything". Pedantry aside, how is this not extremely unfair on the defenders? I've never before seen a restart after that kind of stoppage that didn't occur on the whistle. It'd be one thing if they were dozying around in a half-huddle and a quick tap on the whistle caught them out, but they were in position for play to restart, and given absolutely no warning that it was about to happen - which would be bad enough on its own, but there was also an injured player down and receiving attention right in front of everyone.

(To make things even better, the only signal the referee gave when stopping play was one arm straight up, which I understand is y'all's 'time off' signal, and the on-screen clock stopped when he did so. He never signalled for a penalty at any point, and he certainly didn't repeat the signal to put time back on.)

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Watching the game now, have you got a rough time? If I can't explain it I can put up a video as well

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just seen it, I see what you mean!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
That is very poor. He most certainly did blow time off. He never blew time back on. Grey can feel aggrieved.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

(To make things even better, the only signal the referee gave when stopping play was one arm straight up, which I understand is y'all's 'time off' signal, and the on-screen clock stopped when he did so. He never signalled for a penalty at any point, and he certainly didn't repeat the signal to put time back on.)

I think I agree time-off/time-on; but he signals penalty advantage at 26 seconds of the video (his arm appears on-screen) and is signalling for the penalty at minimum, and making the mark for it, as he disappears off screen at 48 seconds.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
He certainly did stop play. Maul went down, waited to see if anything came of it, decided it didn't and blew the whistle. At that point, the restart is either a PK or a scrum. But he then gave a quick double-peep to say time off, to go with the Time-Off signal. Dealt with the offender and never put time back on. Poor at L.9; at elite level, a critical incident which will no doubt be discussed in his evaluation. Interesting to see what action (if any) is taken. No fuss in the media, probably ref a decent game next week.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dealt with the offender and never put time back on.
The TV lingered on Oosthuizen going off, and we only see the scoring incident in replay. There is a time gap, so he might have signalled time back on during that.

If so, the question is then why he did so when the mark for the penalty was right where a player was being treated.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I didn't realise how shaky my camera work was!

Clock stopped. No whistle to suggest back on, no further whistle at all in fact. Clock didn't restart until Saracens had already played. Can see why they might well assume the game had stopped!

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ref also says "He's on the mark, I haven't stop the [unaudible]"

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The TV lingered on Oosthuizen going off, and we only see the scoring incident in replay. There is a time gap, so he might have signalled time back on during that.

If so, the question is then why he did so when the mark for the penalty was right where a player was being treated.
[LAWS]6.A.7(d) The referee must blow the whistle to stop play because of an infringement or for an offence of foul play. When the referee cautions or sends off the offender, the referee must whistle a second time when the penalty kick or penalty try is awarded.[/LAWS]

There was no whistle, which is the appropriate signal.