Quick Tap FK interference. - "option?"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
[LAWS] 21.8 (d)

Interference. The opposing team must not do anything to delay the free kick or obstruct the kicker. They must not intentionally take, throw or kick the ball out of reach of the kicker or the kicker’s team mates.

Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second free kick, 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick.
[/LAWS]

However
10.2(a)
[LAWS]Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.

Sanction: Penalty kick [/LAWS]

So, assuming the offending is deemed intentional, which of these two laws is used?

Or, should the decision be offered to the non offended against captain, as tactically he might wish to choose a FK+10 (& scrum) , or a PK and a 3pts opportunity ?

Would it be right to avail that option, Or should the referee decide for him ?

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good one this. I have always used the "move the FK 10 metre forward" option. If the PK for deliberately breaking the laws was appropriate, it would mean most FK offences could automatically instantly upgrade to a PK.... if you see what I mean.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Some laws are broken by accident, others (such as deliberate knock-on) cannot be accidental. This looks like one of them, though there is perhaps a possibility that one could "accidentally" prevent a FK. Where a FK is specified for a deliberate offence, IMO that takes precedence over the Law 10 version.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Would we (you) consider it inappropriate to only advance the FK 10m and YC the culprit?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
- I would always move the FK forward 10m - as that's the Law
- but if it happens twice I would warn them that if will become a PK next time (in which case I wouldn't walk 10m, but give the new mark where the offence took place)
- I really try and avoid advancing a FK out of the 22m as it seems crazy to disadvantage the non-offending team....