Quiz Question 299 - Can't see where I am going wrong.

wolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Any help with this question please.

Question Reference Number: 299

Blue #14 is just outside of their 22 and kicks. Gold #7 touches the ball and it deflects slightly behind Gold #7 and directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do?

19.1d : When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks the ball so that it touches or is touched by an opposition player and goes directly into touch, the throw-in is taken in-line with where the opposition player touched the ball or where the ball crossed the touch-line, if that is nearer the opposition player's goal-line.

A. Award a line-out to Gold opposite the place where Gold #7 touched the ball.
B. Award a line-out to Gold where the ball went into touch.
C. Award a line-out to Blue opposite the place Gold #7 touched the ball.
D. Award a line-out to Blue where the ball went into touch

I anwsered D, the quiz says the correct anwser is C.
The ball hit Gold 7 and went slightly behind him and in to touch. Doesn't this mean the line out should be where the ball went in to touch because that is closer to Gold's goal line?

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I believe the answer is D too. C would seem to be correct if the ball went forwards.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
D. I'm told this is too short an answer, hence this waffle.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely it is D becuase that is nearer the oppositions goal line. All very clear from where I'm sat (and I don't have a vested interest anymore...)

Explanation:

Blue #14 is just outside of their 22 and kicks. Gold #7 touches the ball and it deflects slightly behind Gold #7 and directly into touch at Gold's 10-meter line. What do you do?

19.1d : When a player anywhere in the playing area kicks the ball so that it touches or is touched by an opposition player and goes directly into touch, the throw-in is taken in-line with where the opposition player touched the ball or where the ball crossed the touch-line, if that is nearer the opposition player's goal-line.

As it went behind Gold #7, then it is obviously closer to his goal line. As he is the 'opposition' in this question, the line-out has to be where it crossed the touch line (D) as this is "nearer the opposition player's goal line".

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interestingly this is one of the ones I got most e-mails about (still do as Rob hasn't changed the contact details :wait: :wink: ).

Along with the question relating to the outcome of an unsuccessful maul set up off a restart kick... :mad: Everyone obviously read the Law, because they all come in with 'if he catches it from a kick and sets up a maul, he gets the scrum...' ... well... yes... but... read the rest of the bloody law... it specifically says that it does not apply to kick offs or restarts... :wow:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Go with D being the correct decision int his case too.

It often causes derision amongst spectators when this happens in a match too!:D

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
ah yes but what you don't realsie is that Gold 7 is standing on the 1/2 way line and is facing his own goal line. Therefore a deflection behind him is towards the opposition goal line - gotcha.

I hope the appropriate number of wanabe referees have decided to take up tennis instead :cool: