Read in trouble?

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Read cited,
Better buy shares in the rocking horse manure distribution company if that happens.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
just seen it (one angle only, don't know if there are others)...
that's going to be an interesting one

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Both players heads less than a ft from the ground, about 50 mins 40 on the time line for UK peeps at https://www.itv.com/hub/rugby-world-cup/1a9562a0119

Can't see a citing as not a Red card I don't think, arguably a yellow (that would cause uproar from ex players) as there was contact with head as Read went for the chop tackle on a pick and go

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can't see a citing as not a Red card I don't think, arguably a yellow (that would cause uproar from ex players) as there was contact with head as Read went for the chop tackle on a pick and go

Reads shoulder or upper arm looks to contact neck/head area of the Red player, no attempt to wrap and he clearly lead with the shoulder. If its not red based on what we've already seen in the RWC I suspect there will be an uproar in the media.

Just prior Poite should have picked up Read being near a foot offside for a penalty - he does himself no favours in not seeing that.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would expect it to be mitigated to YC though based on time to react / tackle height etc though?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not for me given he wasn't trying to tackle, turns the shoulder in and drives forward into contact, no wrap or even an attempt.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not for me given he wasn't trying to tackle, turns the shoulder in and drives forward into contact, no wrap or even an attempt.

Agree. These ones (like Bakkies a few years ago) are worse to me than ones like Hodge which are split second errors not deliberate actions. Read has time to consider his actions and makes a choice to go in with the shoulder.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wouldn't be surprised if the 'chocolate wheel of justice' will let him off.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The 36 hour citing window has expired with no citing (and cue the usual whinging from the usual suspects in the British media, about favourable treatment for the team in black)

IMO, it didn't meet the RC threshold (no clear evidence of contact to the head). Probably should have been YC on the day.

I wish RWC would use the protocol we use in the RC, Super Rugby and Mitre 10 Cup, of having a Citing Commissioner's Warning (basically, a post match YC) so that with marginal calls, we at least know is was looked at.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The 36 hour citing window has expired with no citing (and cue the usual whinging from the usual suspects in the British media, about favourable treatment for the team in black)

IMO, it didn't meet the RC threshold (no clear evidence of contact to the head). Probably should have been YC on the day.

I wish RWC would use the protocol we use in the RC, Super Rugby and Mitre 10 Cup, of having a Citing Commissioner's Warning (basically, a post match YC) so that with marginal calls, we at least know is was looked at.

Without the benefit of the 2,345 "top secret" camera angles that citing commissioners seem to have available that us mere mortals lack, I'd have to say that its fairly clear that Read was not attempting a tackle and in the balance of probabilities he made contact with head/neck/shoulder of ball carrier. Insufficient evidence for a RC citation, but as you say Ian, a post match YC should be applied. Given almost every other seniors competition that I know of records YC and after 3 in a year you get a weeks rest, why can't this be the case in the international arena? 3 YC in a 24 month international period sees a player miss a game.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Without the benefit of the 2,345 "top secret" camera angles that citing commissioners seem to have available that us mere mortals lack, I'd have to say that its fairly clear that Read was not attempting a tackle and in the balance of probabilities he made contact with head/neck/shoulder of ball carrier. Insufficient evidence for a RC citation, but as you say Ian, a post match YC should be applied. Given almost every other seniors competition that I know of records YC and after 3 in a year you get a weeks rest, why can't this be the case in the international arena? 3 YC in a 24 month international period sees a player miss a game.

OK, so there aren't really any "secret" camera angles. What happens is that every camera on the ground has its digital stream recorded, but not all of them are used because they are pretty uninteresting, e.g. the ground level dead ball line camera at one end of the ground is not a lot of use shooting action at the other end. However, they can come into play in certain circumstances. You might remember the accusation that Aurelien Rougerie eye-gouged Richie McCaw at the end of the 2011 RWC final. Well that footage only came to light because one of SkyTV's VTR operator heard about the accusation and went looking to see if he could find it, and he did. The only camera that showed it was the elevated camera behind the goalposts at the Sandringham Road end of the ground. We only normally see that view when a kick at goal is being taken at those posts, and sometime, we see it for a try. The eye-gouge took place around half way.

The Citing Commissioner has access to ALL of those recorded camera streams.