Rear most player pick up

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think I know the answer to this (no, it's a penalty) but would like your opinion.

Blue forward joins the back of a ruck as the ball is pushed back to prevent it being clear of the ruck. He then decides to pick up and go. I think penalty for handling in the ruck, agreed?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Does he unbind first? IF so he is no longer in the ruck, and behind the last foot, so all is okay.

If he picks it up first (while still bound), then hands in the ruck.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Does he unbind first? IF so he is no longer in the ruck, and behind the last foot, so all is okay.

If he picks it up first (while still bound), then hands in the ruck.

He unbinds first, a bit like a no. 8 pick up from the base of a scrum (but definitely unbound when he grabs the ball)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
sounds OK to me :shrug:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He unbinds first, a bit like a no. 8 pick up from the base of a scrum (but definitely unbound when he grabs the ball)

The difference between a scrum #8 pick-up and your situation is that all sixteen players must remain bound until the scrum ends; hence the specific provision that permits the hindmost player to unbind and pick up, thereby ending the scrum.

There is no such requirement for the ruck. You are perfectly entitled to unbind, provided that you retire behind the hindmost foot before attempting to rejoin the ruck. If you possess the hindmost foot, and are the only reason that the ball is in the ruck because the ball is in front of that foot then, if you unbind, the ball has left the ruck and the ruck ends (Law 16.6). You can then pick up the ball with no consequence. Just don't rebind and call it a maul...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I think I know the answer to this (no, it's a penalty) but would like your opinion.

Blue forward joins the back of a ruck as the ball is pushed back to prevent it being clear of the ruck. He then decides to pick up and go. I think penalty for handling in the ruck, agreed?

I've seen players get their timing wrong, and they arrive after the ball has been placed clear of the HMF , they Then bind on the HMplayer thinking that they have retained the ball in the ruck, my shout of "ball out-play on" invariably awakens him to idea that it was out before he got there.

If he moans , then I might be persuaded to change my mind ...... to a 16.4(a) offence of [LAWS] Players must not return the ball into a ruck.[/LAWS] ! ! (Winks)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Probably falls under no8 pick up, but we do see similar one handed ( pick ups from rucks , that look similar to this )

http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830748/

Its being called as a referee error, but is it something that you would penalise in your match?

I wouldn't, to me its a similar licence that the scrum half gets to stick his kids into the scrum and remove the ball in order to pass/kick it. That SH9 type of reaching in is accepted convention, but is the no8 reaching in also acceptable? What if his scrum is going backwards??

For me in the vid, it aids game restart, so its an immaterial unless your being shoved off your own ball, and the gather is a turnover prevention handling 'offence'

Thoughts??

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I hope we don't get too many SA refs in the 6N if that's what they going to call :wow: Play on all day long!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I hope we don't get too many SA refs in the 6N if that's what they going to call :wow: Play on all day long!

Jaco Peyper - France v Wales
Craig Joubert - Ireland v England

;-)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Probably falls under no8 pick up, but we do see similar one handed ( pick ups from rucks , that look similar to this )

http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830748/

Its being called as a referee error, but is it something that you would penalise in your match?

I wouldn't, to me its a similar licence that the scrum half gets to stick his (kids​) mitts into the scrum and remove the ball in order to pass/kick it. That SH9 type of reaching in is accepted convention, but is the no8 reaching in also acceptable? What if his scrum is going backwards??

For me in the vid, it aids game restart, so its an 'immaterial' unless your being shoved off your own ball and the gathering is a turnover prevention handling 'offence'

Thoughts??

Just noticed the predictive text gaff !! Corrected.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

How far do we let the #8 dig in? Law has the ball at his feet.

(c) Hindmost player unbinds. The hindmost player in a scrum is the player whose feet are nearest the team’s own goal line. If the hindmost player unbinds from the scrum with the ball at that player’s feet and picks up the ball, the scrum ends

I think it should be called, FK or PK ?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I

I wouldn't, to me its a similar licence that the scrum half gets to stick his kids into the scrum and remove the ball in order to pass/kick it. That SH9 type of reaching in is accepted convention, but is the no8 reaching in also acceptable? What if his scrum is going backwards??

We have got to give the little fellas a chance. Only the 9 should be allowed to dig. They are on the endangered species list when coaches learn 6' 4" players can pull off the same skills. Then we can have a real TV game. Goons all goons, goons v goons

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
We have got to give the little fellas a chance. Only the 9 should be allowed to dig. They are on the endangered species list when coaches learn 6' 4" players can pull off the same skills. Then we can have a real TV game. Goons all goons, goons v goons

I agree the yappy chapies add to the game and the sport, but 8s lifting the ball ticks all the 'get the game going' boxes for me, if you disagree then penalise it heavily, but when you do expect to receive more than a raised eyebrow.