[Tackle] Reconciling 15.6(b) and 15.7(a)

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is it just me or are 15.6 (b) and 15.7 (a) in conflict?

15.6 Other Players

(b) After a tackle any players on their feet may attempt to gain possession by taking the ball from the ball carrier’s possession.

15.7 Forbidden Practices

(a) No player may prevent the tackled player from passing the ball.

Also, if 15.7(a) is forbidden why isn't it forbidden to prevent a tackled player from placing the ball.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have always taken the line that you can prevent the pass by playing the ball, but not by playing the player eg grabbing his arm.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have always taken the line that you can prevent the pass by playing the ball, but not by playing the player eg grabbing his arm.

I agree, but that doesn't really answer ChrisR's question,

Why is it forbidden to prevent the tackled player from passing the ball, and from releasing the ball - Law 15.7 (b) - but (technically) not forbidden to prevent him from placing the ball?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cos the laws are written by a twelve year old waiting for his mum to call him in for his tea?

do I win?

didds

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
cos the laws are written by a twelve year old waiting for his mum to call him in for his tea?

do I win?

didds

You only win if the thing that you're pointing out couldn't be seen by Ray Charles, from 20 miles away, in the darkest hour, wearing shades.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You only win if the thing that you're pointing out couldn't be seen by Ray Charles, from 20 miles away, in the darkest hour, wearing shades,

with a paper bag over his head, while standing behind a seven foot wall and facing the wrong way!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

ditto. Free to play the ball but not the player.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Has anyone ever pinged a player under 15.7 a...i cant recall aver using that one?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Agree, but then wouldn't it help to say so?