[Tackle] Red card or not

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
wouldn't play for me, in either browser i tried.

and i'm logged in to twitter. does anyone else get this?

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Why is that?

How is Dublin this time of the year?

Not sure , hardly ever go there ..
Putting that aside .
Not many munster supporters buying it either .

Yes there was a collision .
But that happens when a player jumps in the air & into on coming traffic ..

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not sure , hardly ever go there ..
Putting that aside .
Not many munster supporters buying it either .

Yes there was a collision .
But that happens when a player jumps in the air & into on coming traffic ..

Or alternatively oncoming traffic runs into man in the air!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think it was a fair call.....
But other 'calls', I feel, needed to be made earlier in the game.
Sexton needed a 'chill out period '.

Last edited:

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The ball is approx 20 meters in air & falling pretty much above both players .
Before conway jumps into directional path of opposition .

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think it was a fair call.....
But other 'calls', I feel, needed to be made earlier in the game.
Sexton needed a 'chill out period '.

Following foul play , if a player lands on head / shoulder .
Guide lines say red card ...
But there is intentional foul play & reckless play .

I dont see either here ..

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The ball is approx 20 meters in air & falling pretty much above both players .
Before conway jumps into directional path of opposition .

That's one way of looking at it alright.
But was blue really in a viable position to challenge for the ball?

Maybe if blue had turned his back at the last moment to 'face' the ball the outcome may have been more favourable ( towards blue)!

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Have to pin my colours on this one as I'm a Leinster supporter but I thought the ref had a poor enough game. Far too many stoppages, yes players didn't help. First yellow for Leinster, yes agree it was coming as there was repeated infringements. Second yellow was harsh, Furlong was attempting to support his hooker but the hooker dropped to the ground and the opposing number 7's head hit his chest. It's a penalty for me, nothing more.

The sending off is a classic one for debate. Challenging players in the air:

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on

Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down

Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

Having looked at it several times Lowe doesn't jump at all, Munster player jumps very late and his knee collides with Lowe's face. For me it's somewhere between a penalty and a yellow, there was no challenge and no contest by Lowe, so can it be a deliberate attempt at foul play? I don't think Lowe had time to get out of the way.

Although just read Sexton reckons by the letter of the law it was a red card. Looking forward to another round of provincial derbies next Saturday!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Welcome to the forums nhughes.

I agree with your assessment. Red 14 in the air, with Blue 14 still on the deck. The knee up defense is probably instinctive. Blue doesn’t look to have much chance of catching that high ball. So I can see (Blue 10) Sexton’s point of view; for professional players it is hardly a secret that it is red card territory taking the player out in the air.

Incident at 31 minutes & 37 seconds on the clock. Reviewed by the TMO so Leinster players will have few complaints, player lands on his head, so considered dangerous play. You can always try challenging for the ball, however there needs to be a fair contest for the ball. (For Leinster supporters it will be a difficult one to swallow, since they were still in with a chance to win that game up to the late intercept try.) However like Munster away to Castres the previous week, discipline left them down.

Caveat: I didn’t see the match & the OP video didn’t play for me either. There is a still image here on Sports Joe(dot)ie

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At first I was expecting a sanction against red for kneeing blue in the head!

Seems like both players have moved into the zone where the ball will land, at the same time, both are entitled to be there, and blue is on his feet, seems to me that blue did less to create the end outcome than red did, seems harsh, but not surprised based on previous benchmarks.

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It does seem that Lowe would have been better off jumping and challenging in the air. I hope that jumping into opposition players on the ground doesn't become a tactic to get players carded.

There does seem to be some bad blood between Sexton and Carbery though, Sexton was targeted early in the game and definitely let it get to him.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
One French coach has taken back some tips/skills after a two year stint in West Cork schools rugby.
Regis Sonnes said:
As a coach, I like to see other sports. I saw first-hand the power of hurling. It is the best game to develop players for rugby.
Source: The catching and kicking of West Cork football was also utlilised.. Shane Horgan has said something along those lines previously.

I think the studs up approach to claiming the high ball is an unwelcome cross over from Gaelic sports.
In the Gaelic game the pitch is much larger and it’s a way of dissuading opponents from contesting the high ball.

Last edited:

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
James Lowe is up in front of the citing committee on Wednesday so we'll see if there's any action taken. I'm reading "The Jersey" which is about the history of the All Blacks, very good read so far and Steve Hansen said that he welcomes and encourages rugby players to play other sports, they can then bring those skills to rugby or if rugby doesn't work out for them they are still involved in sport.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
As per #14 with a link to relevant LoTG page. No fair challenge for the ball and red player lands on his head. So fits the 2015 memo for a straight Red.[LAWS]Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)
Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position[/LAWS]

Video clip examples @ Enforcement of current Law
May 2015

At a meeting in April 2015, the Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered the areas of the Game where, it had been agreed that Law amendments were not required but that current Law was to be enforced by match officials including:At a meeting in April 2015, the Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered the areas of the Game where, it had been agreed that Law amendments were not required but that current Law was to be enforced by match officials including: