[Tackle] Red card or not

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If the kick is that accurate (and few are) the defender could just retire a few paces and be in a position to tackle the chaser as soon as he lands.

If you eliminate the contest for the ball that way, won't rugby become a game of chip kicks?

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think, a few years ago, the interpretation by the elite was that if a players hips were above the "tackler's" shoulders then the "tackler" wasn't in a realistic position to challenge for the ball. Not sure if that still applies now, but if so that's a "fair challenge" because of the guidelines world rugby have drawn up in their infinite wisdom.

NB: Haven't seen the vid, just the stills.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
However we should also be ensuring players do not jump into collisions without any concern for their own or others safety. Medard jumped high and fast and with knees up into a space where it was entirely reasonable for a player to be competing. Why is the person on the ground always deemed to be at fault? If we want a fair contest then players jumping in at speed and height should be penalised as they are skewing that contest as they are assumed to be fault free.

I don't agree with a blanket opposite view to current interpretation, that the jumping player is always penalised. But I do agree if the jumpers actions are reckless and/or dangerous, then the jumper and not the player on the ground should be penalised, regardless of the outcome to the jumper (assuming the player on the ground did not act in a reckless or dangerous manner).

Knees up jumping to e is inherently dangerous, I know jumpers are doing it to 'defend' themselves, but it also a) prevents a fair contest for the ball and b) is dangerous to players on the ground. If they contact with the knee I'm thinking YC or RC depending on where the contact is made.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Medard again v Bath almost identical to the incident mentioned above. Kick off to Toulouse, caught, rucked and box kick.

About 24 mins on game clock. Medard runs in jumps from distance and falls as the defender is occupying the space that Medard jumps into. This time he gets a penalty:frown: