Red Card worthy?

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Schoolboys age, near the end of first half - Red player grabs a blue player and starts yanking him over and out of a ruck by the collar/shirt. He does this at such an angle and with such force that the blue player's shirt comes off. The blue player tries to move away afterward, obviously not happy, and in the process knees the red player in the side. (Blue player's arms are still trapped in his jersey, knee looked unintentional.) Red player then gets to his knees and drops onto the blue player, hitting him in the chin/shoulder with a forearm.

I blow the whistle, tell the red captain what I saw, and :norc: to the offending red player.

Too harsh? Game had been niggly already, and continued to be niggly.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Harsh? No, Sounds just right!

Did you yellow the blue for the knee?

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
No, I figured as he was on his back with his arms in his jersey the only way for him to remove himself from the situation was to try and push on the ground with his feet. It's an uncoordinated position to be in and I saw catching the nearby red player with his knee as unintentional - he was attempting to move away from the player. If he'd wanted to retaliate he could have more easily kicked him.