Ref accused of abusing a player

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
isn't that the refs that has form (well, alleged form) with this?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I see no problem whatsoever. Whinging dogs.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
No problem. Its hardly abuse.

I hate wendyball, wendyballers and every other muppet involved with the game that is now ruined. Its about fame, not the game.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Adam Lallana and the Southampton hierachy would not last 5 minutes on a Sunday afternoon if he had to have lunch with my nan if he finds those words demeaning!

She looks and acts like a sweet old 70yo lady but she has some of the best one-liners and put down's ive ever heard, she does not suffer fools.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So the next time a referee awards a penalty against Lallana's team and they all huddle around the ref jostling him and disputing the decision, will they then report themselves for unacceptable behaviour?

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I don't think soccer will ever sort out its problems unless they stamp on the culture which deems mobbing of the referee to be acceptable. I say this with the greatest respect to one of our members - a few weeks of andyscott would sort them out - absolutely no sarcasm intended Andy. I respect your stance with respect to discipline in our game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
She looks and acts like a sweet old 70yo lady but she has some of the best one-liners and put down's ive ever heard, she does not suffer fools.

You're not Graeme Swann, are you?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I see no problem whatsoever. Whinging dogs.
No problem. Its hardly abuse.
Bang on. :clap:

"You’re very different now since you played for England. You never used to be like this."

To be fair it's hardly "abuse" now is it? :chin:

To my mind it just goes to show how "precious" and one-eyed a lot of footballers are. They're quite happy to dish out all kinds of real abuse to referees, but then get all high and mighty when one has the nerve to stand up for himself and refuses to be a verbal punchbag. Bloody hypocrites. :knuppel2:

.... "You've changed and become a f*ckwit c@cksucking c$nt since you played for England" ...now that is a abuse!
Exactly. I was going to say something along the same lines myself. :biggrin:

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agree.

When I saw the headline on the BBC Sport website I was expecting to read that the referee had cast doubts on the player's parentage, sexuality, race or creed. Instead what was presented was a referee stating that said player's attitude had changed since he donned an England shirt. One can just imagine how Clive Norling would have dealt with him :D

Just another example of wendyball players being too far up their own arses!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't think soccer will ever sort out its problems unless they stamp on the culture which deems mobbing of the referee to be acceptable.

This ^^^^.

FIFA, EUFA, The FA et al all at least tacitly support this referee abuse. They could stamp it out overnight, but choose not to do so.

One must only thus surmise that either the clubs own the game OR the governing bodies are spineless. Which I suppose is really the same thing.

didds

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think the fault lies squarely on the referees themselves. They allow the players to treat them like shit, so the players do, naturally enough. If they got together and acted as a collective they could stamp it out immediately. FIFA couldn't replace every referee in the world overnight. Until they grow a backbone they deserve everything they get and more.

I do feel sorry for the more junior refs though who have to put up with minor players emulating the antics of the pros.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Until they grow a backbone they deserve everything they get and more.

I think that's a little unfair and I'm sure you don't really mean it. No referee deserves abuse, regardless of the culture the collective have managed to create and almost foster.
We're not exactly squeaky clean either...despite in the main that rugby is harsher on it, it still continues to occur and in some regions worse than others. That doesn't mean those on the end of it deserve it.

I have had mates who play soccer in these parts watch grassroots rugby and are appalled at the level of dissent the referee receives, yet when I watch (rarely) soccer here I comment on the exact same thing!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think that's a little unfair and I'm sure you don't really mean it. No referee deserves abuse, regardless of the culture the collective have managed to create and almost foster.
We're not exactly squeaky clean either...despite in the main that rugby is harsher on it, it still continues to occur and in some regions worse than others. That doesn't mean those on the end of it deserve it.

I have had mates who play soccer in these parts watch grassroots rugby and are appalled at the level of dissent the referee receives, yet when I watch (rarely) soccer here I comment on the exact same thing!
There's no place for thoughtful and considerate comments on this thread, buddy. This is the thread where we smugly congratulate ourselves on how much better we are than football.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Lol - mea culpa. The New Years resolution will wear off in a day or so!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the fault lies squarely on the referees themselves. They allow the players to treat them like shit, so the players do, naturally enough. If they got together and acted as a collective they could stamp it out immediately. FIFA couldn't replace every referee in the world overnight. Until they grow a backbone they deserve everything they get and more.

Have you ever tried to get some of your local society members to, say, agree on where to go for dinner? Or what colour next year's shirts should be? Or whether those shirts should have a pocket on them?

(Now imagine that everyone knows that if a few of them break off from the group and go to another place, they'll get free dinner/leisurewear for a year and share all the finals appointments.)

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have you ever tried to get some of your local society members to, say, agree on where to go for dinner? Or what colour next year's shirts should be? Or whether those shirts should have a pocket on them?

(Now imagine that everyone knows that if a few of them break off from the group and go to another place, they'll get free dinner/leisurewear for a year and share all the finals appointments.)

I once heard that the collective name for a group of refs is an "opinion of refs"