Refereeing in China

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Do any of you forum readers have any experience of, or contacts in China for refereeing?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last edited:

Speedbird

Referees in Hong Kong
Post Likes
I referee in Hong Kong as well as in England, so I assume its close enough! whereabouts are you headed? Rugby is not as developed in China compared to other places around the world, however within the cities of Beijing and Shanghai in particular, there is quite a lively rugby community. Referee wise, most come up from HK for major tournaments, but there is a league structure in place. hope this helps.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
What language are you proposing to referee in? A few phrases of Mandarin, perhaps? Or stick to OB's mantra that the game is to be refereed in the King of languages, wherever in the world it is played?

I've heard that the mandarin for Ruck sounds very much like the Mandarin for "Tianenmen Square was an act of heathen barbarity! Down with the revolution", so it may be just as well to exercise caution:biggrin:

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm off to Beijing next Friday for 3 weeks, I have been in contact with a couple of the bigger clubs and they have now pointed me in the direction of the Beijing Referees Society.

Heres hoping for a couple of games whilst there, then I could have Warwickshire, Indiana and Beijing in my profile!

Speedbird, any contacts you can dig up would be great.

Thanks for both the giggles and the serious answers!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I've heard that the mandarin for Ruck sounds very much like the Mandarin for "Tianenmen Square was an act of heathen barbarity! Down with the revolution", so it may be just as well to exercise caution:biggrin:

If you look at the Chinese version of the laws on the IRB website you will notice that the Chinese for "ruck" is in fact "ruck". They put the English word in among the Chinese characters. I have no idea how they pronounce it, but I have heard the Chinese say "rots of ruck".

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do any of you forum readers have any experience of, or contacts in China for refereeing?

offside lines may be a problem :eek:

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Getting back to reffing in China.

Would a Yellow card be considered racist?

Would a Red card be considered an honour?