Refereeing touch

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Anyone have experience refereeing touch?

The game, the formal game played under FIT rules is virtually unheard of here, but we're played a few weeks last summer and are looking to do it again.

The biggest problem we had was refereeing the "touch".

Often players would make a pass as touch was made/called, resulting in confusion. The laws say it's a penalty, but players hated that.

Or they'd be running and get touched and run several steps past the mark.

How is this supposed to be handled?

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes.

The biggest problem we had was refereeing the "touch".

Keep ahead of play, not behind it. When a player is touched, call "touch" and point to where the mark is.

If they pass while you're calling, just call them back for a "play the ball". (i.e. "manage it"). If you think they're taking the ...., then penalise.

Or they'd be running and get touched and run several steps past the mark.

point to where the mark is, don't let them play the ball until they've gone to it. (They lose any gain that was as the defenders have plenty of time to get back onside and be ready.)

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Hi Dave,

I have refereed Tag Rugby a lot and its quite similar to Touch Rugby.

Often players would make a pass as touch was made/called, resulting in confusion. The laws say it's a penalty, but players hated that.

A similtanous touch/pass or any doubt as to which was first should be met with a loud "Ball away, Play on" from you as referee.

Tell the players to stop shouting out "touched" because they may themselves end up giving away a penalty. Its a fun game but still needs to be refereed properly. If it happens again give a penalty and stress to the players that it is a needless penalty and spoiling their own fun.

With regards to the running past the mark, tell em to get back. The first few times they will be annoysed but 2-3 minutes in they will have grasped it. They are only disadvantaging themselves as by not taking it from mark, having to move back to mark - allows defence to set up.

I understand you want players to enjoy themselves but look at it like this:

- Player continually shouts "TOUCHED" after ball is passed and it confuses ball carrier. It isnt fun.

- You blow whistle, stop the game, and deal with it. It itsnt fun either.

However by doing it you make game more enjoyable in long run.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
NB - should also point out referee it more like league than union. Stand with defense not the attack and run back 5m or 7m (depends on your rules) at each touch. Whistle each touch and call out the number. Stay the required distance (5m or 7m) away from the defense jogging backwards and to the side mainly.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The question is: did they have time NOT to pass the ball after being touched?

If the answer is yes, then they touch and passed - PK
If the answer is no, then call play on.

A good rule of thumb - if the ball has already crossed the middle of the body in the passing action, it's play on, if it hasn't - PK.

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I did a lot of touch last summer and will probably do a similar amount this summer.

Apart from the "passing" issue above, the other area which causes issue is over the dummy (or acting) half.

He can't score and if he is touched before he can pass it's a turnover.

Link here for a good resource http://www.touchrugby.co.uk/home

jjtu

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Whistle each touch and call out the number

Would not advise whistling each touch - just call loudly "TOUCH ONE" etc - not going to sound right if you're whistling all the time.

I reffed touch for a couple of seasons mainly to maintain fitness - it was good for that, went back into the rugby season with beep-test scores just as good as people who had been running/training over summer - however I did not enjoy it much at all - had no passion for it, no desire to progress but still spent weekends at tournaments and in the end decided to not get involved in the next season.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
JJtu,

For me the whistle after each tag is important. Thats how we always do it would seem too fluid for me without it. Its more like league than union, tag rugby.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Donal - Touch and TAG are two very different games....

There is no whistle after a touch in Touch.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I know but the basic principles are the same certainly the fundamentals are very similar.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Play tag correctly and you dont need a referee.. touch is a different game all togehter

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

The game, the formal game played under FIT rules is virtually unheard of here, but we're played a few weeks last summer and are looking to do it again.
We have a similar problem in England, where it is common to play a brastidised version as a warm-up before a 15-a-side training session. When players familiar with that version attempt the real thing (which remains a very rare thing in numerical terms), they are way off what is required.

You will need to adopt a light touch introducing new players to the game. As others have said, you mark the defensive offside - make it 7m instead of 5m. Don't automatically penalise an offside player as you would with more experienced players - tell them, and PK only if they then move forward.

The touch must be the lightest possible to make the referee sure it has happened - tell them in your talk beforehand that you will penalise a rough touch, and expecially any wrapping of the ball carrier.

Touch & Pass is always controversial. If in your judgement the passing movement was under way before the contact was made ... play on. Only call T&P if there is an offload after the touch.

As to taking steps after the tackle, this is endemic in rugby players coming new to touch, as they are bursting through tackles. It needs to be stamped out so they can learn to take contact on their terms and under control - but as you say, if you PK every time they'll lose interest. Far better to do the first half simply telling them to get back to the mark, giving the defence time to readjust, escalating to PK after they've been told and told and told.

The game when played properly is amazing - but you need to take the contact rugby attitude out of the players before it can flower. If you can get a few NZ and SA players to form a team to show them how it is really done, that will help change attitudes no end.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes

Hi,

I have been reffing touch for two years now. I prefer to hear the players shout 'touch' but I will watch carefully just the same and make my own mind up. If they don't indicate a touch then how can you manage it? A shout is the best as both you as the ref and the person with the ball are aware of what has just happended.

If they shout touch and they haven't, then it is a penalty against them. the hardest thing is what to do if there is a blatant 'no touch' or they shot 'no touch' straight afterwards.

I have heard say that if a blatant no touch has occurred, then the offender should be sent from the pitch 'for a period of time' and a penalty awarded.

If they shout 'no touch' then I think a penalty should be awarded as well. But only if there is no advantage to the attacking side.

Most of the time, the people i ref are very careful about what they call as touch. I have yet to ask someone to leave the pitch for a blatant 'no touch'.

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
HI, As dixie will tell you i referee touch once the rugby union season is over and have refereed most of the england players and the england team.
i used to ref 4 times a week last season around 12 games a week but due to family comitments now just do the 3 games a week or might help out if they are short on other nights. i also ref at the Nat.Touch Tournaments around the country. and yes i advice all players to call touch once the touch is made. and you will not penalise a player who is in the act of passing when the ball as gone half way across the boody, in other word the arm is outstretched ready to pass, there must also be no delay in the pass otherwise then the player will be liable to the penalty for the touch and pass offence.
Yes there are now a lot of rugby players taking up the sport but with good refereeing and coaching they get used to it and and find their handling and fitness improves a great deal.
Also if a player calls touch and the referee can clearly see that no touch was made it depends on the game league,friendly etc. but in a good league game or NTS TOURNAMENT The player would be forced sub.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
just seen this but if anyone is interested in refreeing Touch I ground manager for touchrugby.co.uk and we're always looking for refs. In London they have grounds at Richmond, Clapham and Putney.

Anyone interested pm me