Reffing 7s - Any tips

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi all

I'm reffing my first 7s match tomorrow.
Any words of wisdom for 7s reffing for your learned selves?

Thanks

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi all

I'm reffing my first 7s match tomorrow.
Any words of wisdom for 7s reffing for your learned selves?

1. Revise the Law changes. (Big ones are FK for KO errors and scoring side gets the restart kick, not the scored against side.)

2. Your positioning and running lines will need to be very different to your usual 15-a-side work. Assuming it's a tournament and you're undersupplied with referees (the usual case) then conservation of energy becomes very important. Take more short cuts and position yourself ahead of the ball (some say on the receiving 22!) at restart kicks.

3. Work out what you're going to enforce and what you'll ignore. Most 7s teams don't know they're supposed to gather at the 10m for the conversion kick. Decide if you care or if you think it's immaterial and be consistent.

4. Keep hydrated.

5. Possession is everything. A player with ball in hand and running forward with no immediate opposition is almost certain to score. Bear that in mind when playing advantage (advantage is usually very short - either the non-offending side has clean possession or it doesn't) and when considering a PT. A dangerous tackle on a breakaway runner is possible cause for a PT (and a card if you decide so) anywhere on the pitch, not just within sight of the goal line.

6. Enjoy it.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good tips - kicking the ball out of the scrum towards oppo goal line is a PK

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good tips - kicking the ball out of the scrum towards oppo goal line is a PK

It is but I was once told by a very senior referee at our society that you have to be really sure that's what you've seen to award it.

In 7s, the "forwards" are really backs. They know little of the black arts of the scrum and unless you're doing one of the IRB world series are unlikely to have spent more than 10 minutes practising scrum techniques.

If a ball rockets out of the "wrong" side, it's more likely to be because someone got his (her) feet tangled up than a deliberate ploy.

Though it still might happen, obviously.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stretch a lot during the day and get a good massage afterwards.

Make sure you take on food as well as drink.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't let prolonged mauls develop. If someone's held and clearly not going to ground, call "use it " and then quickly blow (in which case they lose it). 7's is not about wrestling for the ball.

Many tourneys will allow the conversion kick back infield (so from the In-Goal or behind, dropping over the post and infield) rather than hoping some kind soul will go and collect the ball. If this isn't the case, let 'em know before the start, and suggest they position a player behind the posts to collect the ball after the kick.

As to running lines, you'll often find yourself running ahead of not only the ball, but also the defensive line. This is not as bad as it sounds, and can be a very effective position. Try to be in the 22 for each score.

Time very rarely goes off in 7's. The watch is running, so let both teams know this if one or other seems to be dawdling. If the losing side, it's tempting to think it's just their lookout, but don't forget the winning side may need to rack up points to progress. If the winning side is wasting time, consider FK options.

Remember that a ball can boiunce inside the 10m at a KO, then go longer. I saw a L.7 ping every time the first bounce was not 10m, even when the ball subsequently cleared the 10m line.

If you are asthmatic, DON'T FORGET YOUR INHALER!

There will probably be a 1st aid tent and/or ambulance. If the pitches are well spread out, get the mobile phone number of the ambulance driver or first aider, so you don't have to send a runner to attract his attention while a player either bleeds to death or lapses into unconsciousness. Then remember to take your phone to the pitchside.

have fun

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Make like Morbius in Matrix:)

Let the attacking team run to you, try and stay ahead of the play and move to the attacking side at tackles and mauls to ensure fairness.

One to look out for is time wasting at a touch down. Very often on a break-away try the scorer will stand under the posts in the hope that the clock will run down since he knows that no oppo are chasing to tackle.

Also, if there is space, get the conversions taken from the in-goal side of the posts. Saves tournament time in the long run.

Enjoy it, even when the lactic acid has filled your legs and worked its way through your chest and lungs and into your jaw:biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Also, if there is space, get the conversions taken from the in-goal side of the posts.
If you are going to do this, make sure beforehand that it is going to be acceptable in that tournament, since it is technically illegal:
Definitions. Goal: a player scores a goal by kicking the ball over an opponents' [sic!] crossbar and betweeen the goal posts from the field of play ...

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, I did it and survived - had a fantastic time.

Ran 5.4km in 40 minutes of official reffing time, compared to a typical level weeds match of about 6.5km in 80 minutes.

We were lucky to have 4 refs and 3 pitches, so we could rotate and get a breather, plus whilst it was sunny, it wasn't hot and there was a gentle breeze.

My enthusiasm was tempered by one of the wiser refs who said try doing that with only 3 refs, in mid-July under a blazing sun.... but what the heck... celebrate the moment!

More!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Glad you enjoyed it.

Where did they take the conversions from?

wolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
keep yourself moving between games or try to do a load of games on the trot, maybe alternating as Ref/ TJ. Stretch, otherwise come the end of the day you will tighten up and find it hard if envolved in any semis or the finals and even harder getting out of the car when you get home.

Especially important in a 2 day tournament.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am a huge fan of sevens.

Helped out at the Surrey Schools U15 last week and did 3 games in a row just before lunch, then 4 in a row plus 1 TJ.

Tired? Yes, but I found this a lot less tiring than the pattern I have done at other tournaments in the past of 2 on 2 off, or similar.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
would rather stay in middle for 3 or 4 then do 2 on 2 off. Find that mentally exhausting and you get cold between games

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Gillbert, how do you know how far you ran ?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Lots of good points on here, especially about pacing yourself over the day and taking on food as well as fluids and short advantage.

ELVs do apply of course and you will need to keep an eye on the player in opposition to the thrower in to make sure he is in the tramlines. Similarly, watch for the scrum half running into the line out from 2 metres out to act as a jumper. It is legal of course however, he cannot move until the ball is thrown which means effectively that he has not got a hope unless he is at the tail end of the line out.

I have seen a few long throws over the top this season too.

If the scrum spins I would not worry too much as long as it is safe unless it goes on for a long time as the ball will usually drop out quickly. I do insist on a fairly straight ball at the scrum too for a neatly fed ball and a blind side dash by the scrum half will often lead to a try that you should have pulled up at the feed. Just because it is 7s does not mean that there should not be a fair competition at the scrum.

Watch for those who think that because it is 7s then they can take a kick by bouncing it off the knee; a scrum to the opposition will remind them. Similarly, don't let players get away with tap kicks that never leave their hands.

Have fun. I will be at a junior 7s all day Sunday at Overton, Hants while Deeps Junior will be at a senior 7s competition at Winchester with Peter TC.

Last edited:

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Preparing myself for 7's games in a fortnight so reising the law differences.

Am I right in assuming:

1)Line outs of 2 (so 4 involved, leaving 3 backs)?

2) Under 13-15 defending scrum half moves no further than tunnel (or one meter back from it/to back foot/5M back? 16-19 scrum half moves behind ball.

3)scrum wheel of 45deg. with 1.5 push?

4)Free kick from centre if not 10/into touch at kick off?

5) No place kicking?

6) Conversions from in front or behind posts -so no lining up with try location?

Anything important I've missed?

Oh!7) and Scoring team restarts.

8). 7 mins per half plus stoppages.

Is that it? Other than what I've forgotten or just don't know!

Last edited: