Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good spot. Will it work at Twickenham - may save a few people £5

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Toby - the linked items says:

The Reflink feature won’t work in Twickenham itself, however, with licensing restrictions meaning O2 had to geo-fence the stadium to prevent access within that specific area.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
You can hear everything the ref says on TV anyway? What is the point?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely so that you can hear what he's saying even when Stuart Barnes is talking over the top of him?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Needs IOS 5 - and given that upgrading from 4 to 5 is a total ballache then I'll just have to pass.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Considering Apple now hold only 16% of the new smartphone market, one wonders why IOS gets the only App. The 75% of new smartphone owners who use Android are a much larger audience for this app.

I'll just have to buy the Ref-Link when I'm there tomorrow. :eng:

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I'll re-use mine from the last game..

Good idea, it was only December 1st last year so battery should still be good. :pepper:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
but it is only o2 if I read the article correctly so no use to vodafone, EE and any other network users.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Couple of things. Regarding reflink at the stadium, I bought a Sports Radio a while ago (I think we talked about it on here), it picks up reflink, as well as lots of other oncourse sports commentary (horse racing, motor racing), radio5, etc, etc. And it has replacable batteries.

Regarding this app. I have downloaded it to my ipad3, wihch doesn't have a sim card fitted, I only use it with wi-fi.
The reflink bit only works for England games and I thought I read it has to listen to the tv to sync up. This would be the same as an antiques roadshow app I had, which had to listen to the tv show before it worked.
If that is the case then I dont think it matters which network you are with. There is nothing in the app which says you need to be with O2.
As well as the ref link the app also has loads of other stuff, stats, previews, match reports, etc, etc. Its a full 6 Nations app.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
thanks Phil - thought it was O2 only from article. Have downloaded the App so will see what happens later this afternoon.

Dead Keen

Post Likes
I used it today on an ipad and thought it was pretty good, although it did cut out a few times. I just used it on my home wifi - nothing to do with O2.

The quality of the sound was much better than the reflinks I've had at Twickenham.

The sync thing is so that you can tie up with what is happening on the tv. I found that when I had the delay set to 5 seconds it tied up pretty closely with what the tv was showing. If it was set for, say, a 7 second delay then you would hear the whistle on the tv and then, two seconds later, the whistle on the ipad.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My reflink yesterday was excellent. The current model (no tuning needed) is much better than the previous one.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I forgot my one from the Dec game so had buy another. :chair: