Refs in the line of fire!

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNeb0Hm0hc

Hiya everyone,

I was just trawling the internet and came across this video collection of refs getting in the way; some of it is a bit of a chuckle. The thing that disturbs me is early on (around 35 seconds in) there is a ref involved in a collision that, to me, looks to have been contrived by the Gloucester player. He not only pushes the ref into the collision, but then looks to have a go at gouging the refs eye too! Am I seeing things, or is this the case? If so, does anyone know if the player got anything in the way of retribution?

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
It sure looks like it could've been intentional with the gouge.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Gudge = nudge?
Gudge = gouge?
Gudge = Grudge?

Jeeezus Cody, I know it's two countries separated by the same language, but can you at least stick to ONE that works?!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm sorry I had two similar words in my head at the moment I typed that and they just flowed together, I wanted my post to be like reffing-open to interpretation.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm sorry I had two similar words in my head at the moment I typed that and they just flowed together, I wanted my post to be like reffing-open to interpretation.
Humpty Dumpty's theory, of two meanings packed into one word like a portmanteau, seems to me the right explanation for all. For instance, take the two words "fuming" and "furious". Make up your mind that you will say both words, but leave it unsettled which you will say first ... if you have the rarest of gifts, a perfectly balanced mind, you will say "frumious".
Lewis Carroll.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNeb0Hm0hc

Hiya everyone,

I was just trawling the internet and came across this video collection of refs getting in the way; some of it is a bit of a chuckle. The thing that disturbs me is early on (around 35 seconds in) there is a ref involved in a collision that, to me, looks to have been contrived by the Gloucester player. He not only pushes the ref into the collision, but then looks to have a go at gouging the refs eye too! Am I seeing things, or is this the case? If so, does anyone know if the player got anything in the way of retribution?

Seen the video many times before but never noticed that, you may have a good point.