RFU Match Official Development Manager

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
see here for full Job Spec

"establish systems that enhance existing opportunities, and develop innovative solutions to address Match Official retention, recruitment and development challenges at national and local levels."

"acting as the subject matter expert on all match official topics, taking a lead on the design and delivery of relevant and effective training programmes."

• Manage the development, endorsement and review of match official accreditation courses and continuous personal development programmes
• Lead the development and operation of a Sevens match officiating structure for the community game
• Establish partnerships with higher education or other relevant partners to provide research into best practice for match officials and match official development
• Work closely with bodies such as Sports Officials UK and Skills Active to ensure that the RFU is in line with and optimises national developments in education and training
• Actively collaborate with colleagues to contribute to the development and delivery of Rugby & Club Development strategic, business and operational plans

The successful candidate will hold a Rugby Union Referee qualification (or equivalent) with recent and relevant experience as a rugby union match official.

Those candidates with experience of developing a refereeing/match official strategy at a national or regional level will be highly regarded along with those who hold a Level 3 Certificate in Tutoring Sport and Assessing in Sport and a Level 3 Certificate Internal Verification in Sport.

so to all the England based experts on here - get applying for your dream job !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Don't you just hate jobs that say "send your covering letter and CV, along with your salary expectations to........."

What do you put?
You are either going to go too low and end up with less than they were willing to pay, or price yourself out of the job!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil just put;

I expect a competitive salary inline with my experience and qualifications

(Insert your own snarky comment here)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
what I have seen a number of times on application letters :

I would require a competitive remuneration package comensurate with my high quality skill set & extenisive relevant experience to secure my commitment in this exciting and challenging role, in your professional organisation.

When hiring someone I want to know what they think they are worth, and that they are financially & commercially competent. if they can't negotiate their own package, how will they manage the commercial details with clients and vendors.