Rowing for Cross Training

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
During the off season I'm trying to have a break from reffing and also from running, resting the mind as much as the body!
I've been using the concept 2 rower and the cross trainer. Anyone else like using these?
I did a 2k this morning in 7:35 which is a start. I prefer my 12 minute test though where I got 3010m last week!

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
During the off season I'm trying to have a break from reffing and also from running, resting the mind as much as the body!
I've been using the concept 2 rower and the cross trainer. Anyone else like using these?
Do I like them? No. Are they effective? YES.

I'll typically go 8 rounds, 500m each, with 90s recovery between rounds. It's a gasser.

Suck on that.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know Rich Tidmarsh (a S&C coach in London, trains James Haskell) has a rower challenge.
It's 500m x 6 but it's a 1:1 rest so if you complete it in 60 seconds you get 60 seconds rest and then you go again etc. It is a tough one!

I am looking at adding a rower to my home gym sometime soon as I don't mind just sitting there rowing.

Dead Keen

Post Likes
I wish I could do 7:35 for 2k! I haven't been on a C2 for a while but I did 21.1k in 1:29 at Christmas. Must get back on there...

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Results of distance are not important, its HR and length of time at that heart rate ;)

So each would be different