Rugby is officially dead

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So i turn back over and see that rubbish

Btw why wasnt Biggar sent off for no arms?

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Penalty against Gold 12 ball carrier for pushing away the Red tackler?
scratching my head wondering what law was infringed. Seem to have an enthusiastic TMO in this game.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We need to shut up TMO's unless the ref asks for their input.

Notice he didnt call the Welsh 9 for being 3 yards offside

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Penalty against Gold 12 ball carrier for pushing away the Red tackler?
scratching my head wondering what law was infringed. Seem to have an enthusiastic TMO in this game.

Any chance it was because he made contact with head/neck area?!! :shrug:

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
With an illegal forearm fend?
Not really, held his forearm against his own chest until contact with the tackler, then pushed away.

What law do you think he infringed?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
At least terrible calls go both ways. No way that was a penalty either

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not really, held his forearm against his own chest until contact with the tackler, then pushed away.

What law do you think he infringed?

Each to their own, I saw an active decision to fend illegally and made contact with the head and neck, so 9.11 - officials on the day agreed

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Saw it discussed below the pundits right after the match, they stopped the action as the ball comes out - the No 9 is clearly on side. Good call by the ref.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Alain Rolland specifically went around all the teams in this tournament with a slide presentation explaining what was going to be looked at. One of those things was ball carriers leading with the forearm into the throat/head would be tacklers.

Every time the TMO checked in during this match he was absolutely correct on every call. If the right decisions are being made, there is not a lot to complain about. The TMOs are again using "Hawkeye" at RWC.

I am absolutely 100% in support of the idea that TMOs call in foul play when they see it. Simply waiting for the referee to call him in is useless if the referee doesn't see it to call it in.

As for Michael Cheika's remarks earlier in the week (where he said his players didn't need to know the framework for the high tackle sanction) well, I am aghast. What on earth was he thinking? EVERY player should know the possible consequences of what they do and how it is arrived at. One of the ways you learn things is to understand how the end result is achieved.

After Scott Barrett got his RC in the Perth test, Steve Hansen called in a referee coach from NZ Rugby to work with him. As a result of this consultation, Barrett has changed his tacking/clean-out technique - he wants to make sure he doesn't let his team down in the future.

This is an example of the way Hansen thinks. Cheika seems to have adopted a siege mentality.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
View attachment 3924 You mean like this one?

And even this one is after Gold 9 has picked up the ball and paused before starting his passing action. If you go back to the moment he first picks up the ball, Red 9 is still behind the HMF.

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
And even this one is after Gold 9 has picked up the ball and paused before starting his passing action. If you go back to the moment he first picks up the ball, Red 9 is still behind the HMF.

My point exactly - at this point GD is onside, as he was at all points through the play.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
If anything, the TMO seemed to present an interpretation of the images which was favourable to the accused player. All three could potentially have had greater sanctions, and the ITV studio guests thought Hooper in particular was very lucky - almost the first thing the TMO said was “there is an arm”, so it was only looked at as a late tackle, not a shoulder charge.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I loved the resigned expression on Poites face every time the TMO called in ...