RugbyReferee.net

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Hi everyone - Im after some feedback/input.

I set up RugbyReferee.net a couple of years back to funnel all sorts of rugby reffing stuff into one place. Pretty simple format which does what it says on the tin. I saw it as a sort of front end news/info site, to sit alongside the great forum site this place gives to active referees. In the new year, Robbie and I will be discussing how we potentially develop these two alongside each other.

But Id like to see what sort of content you folks would like to see from RugbyReferee.net if we were to develop it further - it is, after all, supposed to be helpful to referees or potential referees all over the world.

At the moment the site has:
- Latest news
- World Rugby appointments - Google calendar
- Social media feeds
- Refereeing books
- Video content
- Law updates
- Global map of links to refs orgs/unions

What other sorts of things would you like to see?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Yes Crossref - it's something we're going to talk about in the New Year.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The stuff you have mentioned sounds about right. With time I'm sure more ideas will flow. One site would make sense.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tip of the week/month

A non-Law tip on refereeing, perhaps (but not necessarily) from an elite or senior referee. It would be aimed at visitors to the site(s) who might be new or inexperienced referees.

Rugby is a complex game with a lot of subjective judgement needed on the part of the referee, and the Law book is no help in that regard. Reading or hearing how more experienced referees manage their games would be useful. The pool of subject material for this is huge... here are a few title ideas that come to mind....

- Running the touchline as an AR

- Picking the culprit when there are front row shenanigans

- Dealing with a difficult player

- Tips for better positioning

- The referee's relationship with the Captain

- How to deal with an all in brawl

- Recognising materiality

- What is "advantage?"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A library of those important memos that aren't published on any website

Library of referee Training materials

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think we should also bear in mind, following on from what Ian_Cook said, is that the site can be a great resource for the 'uneducated' as a quick reference. I am presuming KML1 that this is also part of the reason behind the site?

If that is the case it needs, as does this resource, to encompass the global game and recognise its many facets

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
one thing though -- when you have all the ideas, don't attempt too much. much better to have two or three things working well, then ten sections, most of which are out of date.

+ don't bother with things that are already stored elsewhere - eg

- Law updates - people will go to worldrugby for those
- Global map of links to refs orgs/unions - if someone doesn't don't know what their local society is, but needs to know (a once or twice in a lifetime event!) they will use google...

There's a lot that could be stripped out of RR.COM as well to give a cleaner, fresher feel.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
- How to deal with an all in brawl

That one is easy. Start off with a scrum to the team who had the ball when the fight started after a quick quip to each captain about "getting that out of our systems". :tongue: