RWC 2019 Japan - HIA

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Two Irish players failed HIA 1 at the weekend.
Yet now Ireland have announced they have both passed HIA 2 & HIA 3. Isn’t this a misuse of the protocol? In that, if you fail HIA 1 then you have suffered a suspected concussion and must follow the return to play protocols.
HIA 2 & 3 are a safety net to double check that a player removed from play, just to be on the safe side, but who got thru’ HIA 1 still be monitored just in case. Rather that a get put clause for those who we know have already had a suspected concussion.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
One of the perks of being a professional player!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In fairness they may not actually have been concussed

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not an expert...but I think you'll find that failing HIA does not mean definitively that they were concussed.
Conversely I believe they could be concussed and pass the HIA.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm not an expert...but I think you'll find that failing HIA does not mean definitively that they were concussed.
Conversely I believe they could be concussed and pass the HIA.

Well, I think WR have hung their hooks on the HIA assessments as being the best tests available. Are you aware of better ones ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As I've stated I'm not an expert.
Maybe WR's tests are the best that are available.

Edit.....But given that symptoms of concussion may not become apparent until some time after the injury the can hardly be called definitive.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Failing HIA 1 should not mean there is concussion, only that there may be concussion.
If the player is then symptom free three and 36 hours later they can return to play.

Personally, I think too many players pass HIA1.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's actually more nuanced

HiA 1 can lead to a diagnosis of concussion, or can lead to a suspicion (or indeed being cleared )

.1. HIA 1, which happens during the match, and which involves immediate diagnosis of
concussion if certain criteria are present, or an off-field screening assessment when
the diagnosis is not apparent but a concussion may have occurred

Here is a document

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dk8bvPHVjYYGaR5Lqyv_PX2nExFxOLH1/view?usp=drivesdk

I guess we cannot really know about the two Irish players without knowing more details

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Dr O’Driscoll resigned his post over this. He insists that WR have dug a hole for themselves and are still digging. HIA 1 is a farce, since the player is only ever removed from play for a Head Injury Assessment of one of the criteria has already been met. So the moment the referee, or anybody else says off, that player is by definition already suspected of concussion. = HIA 1 failed, before the 13 minutes has even begun.
Dr O’Driscoll dismissed the explanation as “confusing and conflicting and contradictory” and added that World Rugby’s use of pitchside assessments was placing team doctors in an invidious position.

“The player’s brain is vulnerable after signs or symptoms of a concussion, and, if you look at this 13-minute rule, now, that rugby have, and the guidance they are giving to the elite doctors, it is conflicting,” said Dr O’Driscoll. “It is contradictory and it is putting the doctors in a quite impossible situation.

“If you have to take a player off for a test of his brain, something has happened and that means you must keep that player off.”
If the protocol was fit for purpose it’d apply to the amateur game too.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Hooley and D'ainu will miss the USA game against France - but I believe neither failed their HIA.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unfortunate turn of phrase is Wales Online who also seem to be confirmimg the results of Biggars HIA tests before he has taken them

On Tuesday, Wales issued a positive injury update on Dan Biggar, confirming he is currently symptom-free of concussion following a failed head injury assessment at the weekend. He will now continue going through the relevant return-to-play protocol before being deemed fit to play.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Unfortunate turn of phrase is Wales Online who also seem to be confirmimg the results of Biggars HIA tests before he has taken them

Which bit is 'unfortunate '?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So Biggar failed HIA1 last week but as predicted by his coaches passed subsequent tests and played today.

Today he took a bad knock by anyone standards, and appeared to be out cold.

Hope he is ok

We all know that concussion is cumulative .. one concussion males you vulnerable to another. Will he be passed fit for next game ?