RWC and the TV commentators

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As a matter of interest, OB, is the lack of semi-colons in your Geof.Howe sentence pertinent to the
example? ie.,

"Sir Geoffrey Howe, who had arrived in a limousine; the editor of the Daily Telegraph, who had arrived in a motor boat; and Dave Nellist, who had arrived in an anorak."
It was exactly as quoted in Fowler.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Football experimented with a red button feature where you could have to crowd noise but no commentary.

Albeit on the BBBC, and on freeview, not that long ago there was some red then blue button options for ref's mike and often alternative commentaries.

So refs mike you got crowd noise, grunting and lots of "hands off five. Hands Off Five! HANDS OFF FIVE! HANDS OFF FIVE!"

Alternative commentary you might get the Irish Gaelic commentary from radio Eire etc.

This has disappeared now it would appear...

didds

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
On S4C TV, there is often an English Language commentary on the red button for all us foreigners to use...

(Rumour has it that a few of the locals need it as well... )

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The issue is underdelivery of specially targetted audiences, who are light ITV viewers, such as men 18-34 - once the spot has gone and it's underdelivered, to late to run it again ! Also each spot has a unique contribution to the overall reach and hitting the right frequncy a viewer will see the ad, so chronology counts.

WTF :chin:, Just me?

Sorry i asked

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tour de France: Phil Ligget (spelling?)
Rugby: In Aus - Gordon Bray
In NZ - Tony what's his name (help me out here Ian) with comments from Justin Marshall?

Tony Johnson?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
ITV is just poor at sport. Can't say that Ryder is a good anchorman either. What's the point of the "touch screen"?

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
As if!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The inclusion of the " " indicates my opinion of use of the term.

Sorry. I thought you were suggesting that which I thought at first; namely that it was a touch screen that just didn't work!! However I should have realised that was not likely :(

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
thought everyone had switched to watching ITV mute with talksport or ARC rugby commentary

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
thought everyone had switched to watching ITV mute with talksport or ARC rugby commentary

Great theory for the organised person! Regret always out of synch and making cups of coffee etc so use Sky+ and watch when other onerous domestic duties permit -like eating breakfast.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Ian, who did the US- Russia match? They were funny. We are getting the Kiwi announcers

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, who did the US- Russia match? They were funny. We are getting the Kiwi announcers

Scotty Stevenson (nickname "Sumo" for reasons that become obvious when you see him). He's a laugh-a-minute guy, a truly warped sense of humour.

Willie Lose (surname pronounced Low say). It's another way of saying prat.

Murray Mexted (famous for "Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer.") Mexted is, well, he's just Mexted isn't he; one of the greatest generators of sports commentary gaffes who ever sat behind a microphone

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Willie Lose (surname pronounced Low say). It's another way of saying prat.

No kidding. He has to be the biggest drip to ever get behind a microphone. I will never forgive Murray Deaker for allowing that twerp to be his successor.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
To see Sean Fitzpatrick (a feckin' legend) and Lawrence Dallaligo phaff about with the so-called touchscreen thingy before the Blackness played the Nippon was painful.... Truly urine poor!

Thank God for ARC! Jedi rules :pepper: