Level 6
I can almost write the front page of the NZ press.:yellow:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nice to see the "fair minded" English crowd booing the NZ captain during the post match interview. Nothing new there then. I guess that is the kind of boorish behaviour we have come to expect from them... looks and sounds like "soccer crowd" mentality rubbing off on them....obvious morons are obvious!

As for the game, well, I though it was a pretty good contest, as we have come to expect from these clashes. Argentina are a bloody good side, I am sure they will get to the quarter finals, where they will give their opponent a lot of trouble.

Finally, I've no problem with either of the yellow cards, but if Wayne Barnes is the best referee England has to offer then that doesn't say much about the rest. He misses an awful lot of offsides and allows a lot of "not releasing" by tackle assists and consistently allowed jacklers to put their hands on the ground past the ball before grabbing the ball. Not good enough at this level.

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The were a large number of Argentina fans left in the stadium, most of the neutrals had left at that point.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shrug, the IRB evidently consider WB one of the top few in world. Which NZ refs would you choose ahead of him, Ian?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shrug, the IRB evidently consider WB one of the top few in world. Which NZ refs would you choose ahead of him, Ian?

Not relevant to my comments, but he is certainly no better than Chris Pollock

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The were a large number of Argentina fans left in the stadium, most of the neutrals had left at that point.

By five minutes after full time from a crowd of almost 90,000? I don't think so, besides, the booing only happens in England (Twickenham last time... not a lot of Argie fans there!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
By five minutes after full time from a crowd of almost 90,000? I don't think so, besides, the booing only happens in England (Twickenham last time... not a lot of Argie fans there!

.... I was there. The crowd was majority Argentina fans, whether actually Argentinian or not. The stadium was mostly empty at the interviews as all the crowd filed out, and what was left were pockets of blue and white.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just to be clear, I am not saying his refereeing was one sided, just that he was too slack in his adjudication of those areas I mentioned, on both teams. Was he was consistent for both teams? Yes, but that doesn't excuse missing basic stuff that should refereeing 101 at this level.... if you make a mistake for one team, then a mistake for the other team, you haven't balanced out the mistakes, you have made TWO mistakes!!

Allowing midfield backs to be offside might seem to be the same for both sides in theory, but in reality it gives teams that predominantly use a rush defence (as opposed to those who mainly use a sliding defence) a bigger advantage. Half a metre head start can be the difference between the ball carrier being hit behind or in front of the gain line.

Its similar when it comes to slackness in penalising for not releasing and/or allowing players to support themselves beyond the ball. You could say its the same for both sides, but allowing it negates the advantages to players who have superior skills and good balance because allows less skilled players to compete with them by cheating.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not relevant to my comments, but he is certainly no better than Chris Pollock

So two referees who are, for the sake of argument, equally (in)capable, are at the RWC. What point are you trying to make Ian?

England's best(?) referee should be one of the best in the world?

There are times to boo players (during the game usually) and that is not during post match interviews. I was appalled when RMC was booed at Twickenham last Autumn. Probably booed by the same people who think Jonny May is world class. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... There are times to boo players (during the game usually) and that is not during post match interviews. I was appalled when RMC was booed at Twickenham last Autumn.
I got the impression the crowd were supporting the underdogs, which is fair enough ... but why boo RMC?

He seemed surprised at the reaction. The atmosphere in Cardiff yesterday was the complete opposite. In fairness to the Irish crowd, the Canadians had a hell of a reception as they did a lap of honour. In fact I think the Canadian Hooker was enjoying it so much, he may have missed his bus. :biggrin:

Nice gesture by the Irish side to clap the Canadians off I thought. :clap:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So two referees who are, for the sake of argument, equally (in)capable, are at the RWC. What point are you trying to make Ian?

England's best(?) referee should be one of the best in the world?

I wasn't making a point, I was (reluctantly) answering a question that I didn't think was relevant.

There are times to boo players (during the game usually) and that is not during post match interviews. I was appalled when RMC was booed at Twickenham last Autumn. Probably booed by the same people who think Jonny May is world class. :biggrin:

Steve Hansen made a good (tactful) point in the press conference when asked about it. Basically, he intimated that if people don't boo you then they don't care because you not good enough. :pepper:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Agree post match booing is a bit OTT but today (BBC article quote):

"With McCaw looking on, and being roundly booed by a rowdy Argentine contingent every time he appeared on the big screen, Argentina took the game to New Zealand."

It can't all be blamed on England fans!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Sadly the opening post in this thread set the tone. You'd hope that referees could get beyond the nationalistic willy waving. Sadly not.

Claims that The English crowds are worse than NZ crowds. I nother threads w've had claims that the Irish and English fans don't boo during kicks at goal and other such claptrap.

What is true is that NZ did not play well and still won. They'll go away angry with themselves and come back stronger. Sadly some other sides will take the praise lavished by the sychophants ignoring the big flaws in their games.

I guess that is why people seem to hate McCaw and the rest of the ABs. For New Zealand being the best is not good enough, they want to be the best they possibly can.

Last edited:

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Taking my tartan glasses off and being as objective as I can, I thought Barnes had a good game, good comms and positive use of the wider ref team. I agree about the offside and jackler observations but he was consistent for both sides RMcC's 'line speed' was all too often about being well ahead of the back line at the ruck/maul, but this seems to be a common theme amongst all refs in the WC to date, as does the curse of the not straight put in. Notwithstanding these observations under very close level of scrutiny the refs have been consistent and have done a good job and Barnes has been right up there

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sadly the opening post in this thread set the tone. You'd hope that referees could get beyond the nationalistic willy waving. Sadly not.

Claims that The English crowds are worse than NZ crowds. I nother threads w've had claims that the Irish and English fans don't boo during kicks at goal and other such claptrap.

What is true is that NZ did not play well and still won. They'll go away angry with themselves and come back stronger. Sadly some other sides will take the praise lavished by the sychophants ignoring the big flaws in their games.

I guess that is why people seem to hate McCaw and the rest of the ABs. For New Zealand being the best is not good enough, they want to be the best they possibly can.

attachment.php

I had no idea prince William was at the game. I was however watching it with a Kiwi and he did mention in New Zealandish, " the hirild is gonna have I fiiled day with dis". or words to that effect.
I still don't see how William waving had anything to do with the thread?

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

I had no idea prince William was at the game. I was however watching it with a Kiwi and he did mention in New Zealandish, " the hirild is gonna have I fiiled day with dis". or words to that effect.
I still don't see how William waving had anything to do with the thread?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was however. Impressed with SBW.

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Can you boo in an English accent?

Maybe The Argies took exception to a deliberate trip? Just saying

Nice to see the "fair minded" English crowd booing the NZ captain during the post match interview. Nothing new there then. I guess that is the kind of boorish behaviour we have come to expect from them... looks and sounds like "soccer crowd" mentality rubbing off on them....obvious morons are obvious!

As for the game, well, I though it was a pretty good contest, as we have come to expect from these clashes. Argentina are a bloody good side, I am sure they will get to the quarter finals, where they will give their opponent a lot of trouble.

Finally, I've no problem with either of the yellow cards, but if Wayne Barnes is the best referee England has to offer then that doesn't say much about the rest. He misses an awful lot of offsides and allows a lot of "not releasing" by tackle assists and consistently allowed jacklers to put their hands on the ground past the ball before grabbing the ball. Not good enough at this level.