[RWC] Referee Appointments

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Very happy to read this, I'm a big fan of Jaco Peyper :)

South Africa’s Jaco Peyper will referee the Rugby World Cup 2023 opening match between hosts France and New Zealand at Stade de France on 8 September.

On a big opening weekend that will see four referees make their Rugby World Cup debuts in the middle, France’s Mathieu Raynal will take charge of England versus Argentina in Pool D, while Australia’s Angus Gardner will referee world champions South Africa against Scotland in Pool B.

England’s Luke Pearce, meanwhile, will be in the middle for the final match of the pool stage, the Pool C meeting between Fiji and Portugal in Toulouse on 8 October.

Emirates Match Official appointments highlights

• Jaco Peyper (South Africa) will be assisted in the opening match by Karl Dickson (England) and Christophe Ridley (England) with Tom Foley (England) as the Television Match Official.
  • Wayne Barnes (England) set to take part in a record fifth Rugby World Cup with New Zealand v Uruguay on 5 October to be his 25th match as a referee in the tournament.
  • Barnes has refereed 21 matches on the Rugby World Cup stage, the other 11 officials have 24 matches between them.
  • The most-capped referee in test history, Barnes is one of four officials who will referee four matches in the pool stage, the others being compatriots Luke Pearce and Karl Dickson along with Mathieu Raynal (France).
  • Four referees will make their Rugby World Cup debuts in the middle in Andrew Brace (Ireland), Nika Amashukeli (Georgia), Matthew Carley (England) and Karl Dickson (England).
  • Amashukeli, the first Georgian official in Rugby World Cup history, will take charge of Ireland v Romania in Bordeaux on 9 September – 16 years after watching Ireland defeat Georgia at France 2007 on television as his introduction to rugby.
  • Joy Neville (Ireland), the first female match official in men’s Rugby World Cup history, will be a TMO for five matches, starting with Italy v Namibia in Saint-Étienne on 9 September.
  • Nic Berry (Australia) will be in the middle for Chile’s Rugby World Cup debut against Japan in Toulouse on 10 September.
  • Angus Gardner (Australia) will take charge of South Africa’s opening match of their title defence, against Scotland in Marseille on 10 September.
  • Portugal’s return after a 16-year absence against Wales in Nice on 16 September will be Karl Dickson’s first RWC match as a referee.
  • Paul Williams (New Zealand) will referee the first all-South American match in Rugby World Cup history, Argentina v Chile in Nantes on 30 September.

Gomes

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I asked this question on RugbyReferees.net but perhaps this is the more appropriate forum for this question.

Who did WR choose as replacement controller/fourth official for RWC?

I looked for this information but couldn't find it on any website or source.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I guess now is a good time to praise those who have done well in the pool stages, I see WB in the final.

Will keep my lips sealed on who has ruled themselves out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On a roll at this world Cup for me have been
- Nika Amashukeli, Wayne Barnes, Luke Pearce, Jaco Peyper, Ben O'Keefe

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
On a roll at this world Cup for me have been
- Nika Amashukeli, Wayne Barnes, Luke Pearce, Jaco Peyper, Ben O'Keefe
not sure if BO'K will get another Ireland game, had two big ones already for them (they must surely try and mix it up?).

He was thrown under the bus a bit by his TMO this weekend, looked pretty bad in real time but can't believe that let this one go, there was even a puff of dirt. All those screens in the room and they could find evidence this was out?

Attachments

• 1696846190803.png
    1696846190803.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
any other refs apart from WB impress you so far shebeen ?

I agree that WB will get the final (i can't see England beating France in the SF ;) )

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
not sure if BO'K will get another Ireland game, had two big ones already for them (they must surely try and mix it up?).

He was thrown under the bus a bit by his TMO this weekend, looked pretty bad in real time but can't believe that let this one go, there was even a puff of dirt. All those screens in the room and they could find evidence this was out?
BO'K was not the ref in that game - it was Nic Berry

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interestingly Eng and NZ could easily join one of Fra and SA in the semis, so the choice of refs for the semis could be quite restricted

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
BO'K was not the ref in that game - it was Nic Berry
omg, correct. my humblest apologies for putting the dark haired antipodeans in the same box!
1696934463634.png

any other refs apart from WB impress you so far shebeen ?

I agree that WB will get the final (i can't see England beating France in the SF ;) )
Pearce and Amashukeli have done a good job in my mind.

It feels like there has been a gentle nudge to the bunker to pump the brakes on the RC since weekend2, which has taken heat off the officials.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Definitely a nudge to find extenuating circumstances and mitigation by all means, I think in all three games.

For me Barnes, Pearce, O'Keefe are lined up for the final. If it's Eng-NZ (hahaha haha, dearie me) then I think Gardner or Amashukeli on RWC form, but Peyper will get it.