sa Samoa

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If the ball strikes the ref and either side gains an advantage then we have a scrum. If neither side gain an advantage we play on.

Who gained the advantage just before half time?

It seemed to simply be a bit of a mutual mess...?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ref wanted a half time cuppa...

didds

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Owens is in charge, He's having an Ok game.

The situation: At the ruck the samoa player 15 was holding on to SA 7(?) SA player was hitting with the forearm, I guess it would have been a harsh red, but a YC is possible, and then after the ruck 15 holds 7 and then pulls him twords him and hits him in the face and what looked very close to could have gauged at the same time. Then about 3-4 mins later 17 SA, deliberately very debatable, knocks on at about the 40m line Owens YC.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have just heard Nigel Owens make one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard by a referee.

"When I'm in the way, I'll take the knock"

Better still Nigel, DON"T GET IN THE F**KING WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

NO is a serial offender when it comes to getting in the way of players, colliding with players and getting hit by the ball.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Tough day at the office for Nigel Owens. A lot of odd calls, including a ridiculous red card followed up by a strange Yellow that looked suspiciously like an "even it up" job. Penalised Samoa in a try scoring situation for getting up off the ground when he clearly wasn't held.

Tough game to ref but he really should have done better.

Then after the ruck 15 holds 7 and then pulls him twords him and hits him in the face and what looked very close to could have gauged at the same time.

Words fail me at this description. It was barely a slap after receiving some pretty harsh blows to the head. SA 7 went over as if he'd been hit by a mack truck. Should be a YC for the punches and another YC for the over acting. RC for SA 7 and YC for Blue 15.

Last edited:

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Tell us more..... (and who is in charge?)

It was Owens, with Barnes and Stewart Terheege.

Second half, there is a ruck and it looks like Samoan 15 is holding one of the South Africans in the ruck. Ball goes away and then we come back for Foul play spotted by Stewart. Bok is on floor not looking great. Nigel splits them up and then has a chat with Stewart who gives a brilliant AR report stressing exactly what he's seen and then reiterates it to Nigel, who then asks for recomendation which is Red, for a Deliberate strike to the face.

At which point my internet dropped loosing me the rest of the replay but it looked to be excellent proffesional officiating.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Nigel 'all about me' Owens. Likes to make the game about himself, and show that he has two hands that can be used, likes to show everyone that he has a big loud mouth, and an even bigger whistle, likes to show that because he has the whistle that he is more superior.

What a awful game by Owens. Missed knock ons. Imagined tackles which weren't tackles. He was awful. Absolutely awful. You really have to wonder why such a great ref like Mark Lawrence was left at home, and he was taken to the RWC.

Red card was for an open faced punch. If Samoa were to play next week (which they aren't) you wouldn't suspend Number 15 for it. Very harsh, but understandable.

Davet

Post Likes
Samoa 15, Williams hanging onto opponent at ruck, who was not part of ruck - Williams was holding tight to an unbound player by his shorts, not binding with him. Player was striking Williams hands and arms to free himself. Ruck over, both released and the Williams struck player in face with open hand.

RC to Williams, and frankly stupidity like that deserves one.

2 minutes later Smidt gets YC for deliberate knock on destroying one of many Samoan attacks. He seemed shocked and it was a 50 50 card, could have gone either way, but it was very cynical act by Smidt. On balance good call by ref Nigel Owens.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tough day at the office for Nigel Owens. A lot of odd calls, including a ridiculous red card followed up by a strange Yellow that looked suspiciously like an "even it up" job. Penalised Samoa in a try scoring situation for getting up off the ground when he clearly wasn't held.

Tough game to ref but he really should have done better.

Yep the red was a crock of shite, and the yellow was a book balancer.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Yep the red was a crock of shite, and the yellow was a book balancer.

Ok interesting, if I had that on my pitch I would have red every time, open hand or not it was a deliberate strike not a push and to the face.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ok interesting, if I had that on my pitch I would have red every time, open hand or not it was a deliberate strike not a push and to the face.

Your pitch?

Gee, if that is how the referees think of "their" game. Then I am worried. This is the same problem I think Nigel Owens has. It isn't his game, or his pitch. It is about the players and not about the egos.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Well, I would have penalised Williams for holding on the South African in the first place instead of trying to "manage it".

However, if I did decide to "manage it" then a PK against the South African player who was hitting Williams in the first place.

Do things in that order, it never gets to the red card situation

Kill the flash point early!!!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Your pitch?

Gee, if that is how the referees think of "their" game. Then I am worried. This is the same problem I think Nigel Owens has. It isn't his game, or his pitch. It is about the players and not about the egos.

Wrong reading of that Chief,

It's short hand, my pitch / my game rather than "if that occured during a game that I was giving up my spare time to allow enjoyment of 30 other fellows pursuit of choice". It's slighty lazy English but not a sign of an ego running away.

Having said that like it or not the ref is in charge!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
some of you lot are full of it, how many times do you need to read, NO didn't make the call on the RC it was the AR!

Davet

Post Likes
Strike to face like that, and it was an open handed punch rather than a push, is a red card every time. Cannot see how it could be anything else.

That said, Ian is absolutely correct about the first offence, that led to the second offence that led to the third offence which resulted on the RC.

If you stamp out the stupid niggles you save yourself a whole heap of trouble. As I think I've said before.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Apologies Toby and Peperami, not a ref you see!

Did anyone see in the 2nd half, Pieterson was clearly offside, and he slapped the Samoan hand which lead to the knock on. Not sure about what minute it was, but Owens went upstairs to the TMO to see if it had been grounded. Not sure about this, but shouldn't that have been a penalty and a YC?