SA vs Rest of World

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't catch the game - I've got an assignment due today and no sky at home, so I was wondering if anybody saw the game and had any opinion of how Sean Davey got on?

I was refereeing where he teaches on Saturday, and had a quick chat with him about the game.

I'll try and grab it off the net, but was hoping for a quicker update.

Chris

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought he did very well.

Good empathy with the players, he tried to let it flow but warned Springboks when they cynically killed it twice on the trot.

Consistent and clear management of tackle / post-tackle was good and he was effective in keeping most players on the back foot (refreshing at Elite level)

His fitness was outstanding in a wide expansive match.

His weak spot was scrummage, where he had to work too hard on getting engagement correct in the latter stages, and allowed too much boring on throughout.

Good positioning for scores and quite right to go to TMO for decision on the occasion he did.

He also kept Dallaglio and Marshall pretty quiet too !

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The only negative was his refusal to show the YC to the SPringboks. He warned the skipper after 3 infringements in quick succession (?) that if there was any more 'negative play' then a player would 'go to the bin'. Didn't follow it through.

However, agree with Simon that he had an excellent game and was there to make all the right decisions.