Salary Cap

duncanb

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Premiership clubs are to be allowed make one marquee signing, outside of the salary cap, as of the 2012-13 season.

The ground-breaking move is one of a series of measures set to be introduced by Premiership Rugby, the umbrella body representing English rugby's top clubs, in a bid to retain the country's leading players and attract the world's best talent.

In a statement released on Thursday, Premiership Rugby revealed that the salary cap will remain at a base of £4m next season, as it has been for the previous three, but the introduction of academy credits will offer further financial breathing room.

Clubs will get a credit in the salary cap of £30,000 per player, up to eight players, for home-grown talent in their senior squads - meaning the maximum spend will be a total of £4.24m.

As in previous Rugby World Cup seasons, in 2011-12 only there will also be a credit of £30,000 for each international player participating, in order to help clubs manage the reduced number of players available to them in the opening weeks of the season.

In 2012-13, the base salary cap will increase to £4.26m, rising to a maximum of £4.5m with the continuation of the academy credits. In addition however, a club may choose to nominate a player to be excluded from the salary cap.

"This will provide all the clubs with further capacity to retain our world-class English talent as well as attract some of the most talented foreign players," the statement said. "At the same time, we shall be able to maintain the clubs' success and protect the basic competitiveness of the competition."

In order to manage the overall financial position in a sustainable way, Premiership Rugby has also revealed that for 2013-14 and 2014-15 the level of the base salary cap will be linked directly to annual central revenue distributions to the clubs.

Explaining the strategy, which was agreed unanimously by the clubs, Mark McCafferty, chief executive of Premiership Rugby said: "Looking forward, the continuing success of our expansion strategy to 2015 will depend significantly on our development of playing talent to world-class levels, our retention of that talent in England and the continued attraction of some of the world's best players.

"This combination will add significantly to the attraction of our competition to supporters, viewers and partners. Our successful growth will also continue to depend on striking the right balance between the investment in playing talent and the continued long-term financial stability of clubs. The clubs have agreed how best to strike the right balance.

"This season was the first under our strategic plan which builds towards Rugby World Cup in England in 2015. Our clubs have achieved success this season in Europe and also made the Aviva Premiership the highest try scoring competition in the northern hemisphere.

"It has been a breakthrough season for a talented group of young players and on average 68% of players in the Aviva Premiership every weekend are English qualified. Based on our collective financial strategy and the continued commitment to developing English players, we have been able to make changes to the salary cap through until 2015 which we believe will further strengthen the playing and commercial success of the competition."

Reflecting on the current season, Premiership Rugby revealed a 15% increase in viewing figures for both live coverage on ESPN and Sky and for the ITV highlights show transmitted on ITV4 and ITV1.

From a rugby perspective, the Premiership also ended the regular season as the highest try-scoring major league in the Northern Hemisphere with average tries per match of 3.84 (Magners League: 3.64; Top 14: 3.75) although they trailed France's top division in points per game (Top 14: 43.49; Premiership: 41.90; Magners: 40.05) and average attendance (Top 14: 14,035; Premiership: 11,880; Magners: 7,318).

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership...ry/140449.html

Will this lead to a 2 tier Prem after next year, and will it stop players going to France??

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"It has been a breakthrough season for a talented group of young players and on average 68% of players in the Aviva Premiership every weekend are English qualified.
Really, its as low as that? Sounds like they are proud of this; I wouldn't be. It means 32% of the players each weekend in the Premiership (thats one in every three players, or about 84 in total) are acting as roadblock to success for others.

....the continued commitment to developing English players...
Oh? I suppose they mean players like Dylan Hartley, Shontayne Hape, Riki Flutey, Hendre Fourie, Alex Corbisiero, Delon Armitage...et al.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i'll give you the others, but Corbisiero moved here when he was a small child. much like many islanders move to NZ.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Really, its as low as that? Sounds like they are proud of this; I wouldn't be. It means 32% of the players each weekend in the Premiership (thats one in every three players, or about 84 in total) are acting as roadblock to success for others.

Oh? I suppose they mean players like Dylan Hartley, Shontayne Hape, Riki Flutey, Hendre Fourie, Alex Corbisiero, Delon Armitage...et al.

Delon A, that's news to me, what's his background I knew he was in France for some of his childhood but why is he not English?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Delon A, that's news to me, what's his background I knew he was in France for some of his childhood but why is he not English?

He's a West Indian, born in San Fernando, Trinidad, in 1983.

Lived in France from 1996 (age 13) to 2002 (played for Nice Côte d'Azur Université-Racing in Federale 1) then he moved to England at the age of 19.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Doesn't stop him being English, He can be English through parentage, not birth.

I know plenty of Scots that are not born in Scotland but are die hard Scots through and through because of their scottish parentage. (Rod Stewart is a famous one).

Birth cannot be counted as your nationality because there are so many reasons where you could be born in a completely different country, to which you have no other ties.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What percentage of England qualified players fall into that sort of category? I think you are just fishing.