So the South Africans ought to have been playing with 13 men .... :wow:

I have every confidence that we would still have manged to squeak a loss :D

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Only 8 weeks. What a f**king disgrace (and so to are PvD's comments on the incident by the way).

Burger should be gone for the rest of the international season. His actions were wilful, dangerous and most importantly, premeditated.

Eye-gouging needs to be stamped out of our game, but it seems the iRB lack the gonads to send a clear message.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Only 8 weeks. What a f**king disgrace (and so to are PvD's comments on the incident by the way).

Burger should be gone for the rest of the international season. His actions were wilful, dangerous and most importantly, premeditated.

Eye-gouging needs to be stamped out of our game, but it seems the iRB lack the gonads to send a clear message.

Yeah, forgot to mention PdV's stupid comments about it being a yellow card. I've had players that I sent off for punching get longer bans that that.

Maybe someone has to have their neck broken or lose an eye before it will be taken seriously?

Speedbird

Referees in Hong Kong
Post Likes
oh no, PDV doesnt even think it was a YC.

(excerpt from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8122711.stm)
South Africa coach Peter de Villiers refused to condemn Burger's actions, something McGeechan admitted he was "very disappointed" by.

"I don't believe it was a card at all," said the South Africa coach.

"In the first minute already there had been a lot of needle and if you watch the whole game you will see how many yellow cards they were let off.

"This is sport, this is what it's about. If things were clear cut then we shouldn't even bother preparing for a game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion."

I think its a disgrace, how can an international coach claim that eye gouging is an acceptable part of rugby?? If you remember, AR Bryce Lawrence said it should have been 'at least a yellow card'. I just wish Berdos had taken the hint and gone for a RC and sent out a clear message to all watching that any contact with the eye area is a serious offence.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah, forgot to mention PdV's stupid comments about it being a yellow card. I've had players that I sent off for punching get longer bans that that.

Maybe someone has to have their neck broken or lose an eye before it will be taken seriously?

Actually, PdV said he didn't think it was even a YC, reckons its just part of the game. :eek:

From BBC Sport
South Africa coach Peter de Villiers refused to condemn Burger's actions, something McGeechan admitted he was "very disappointed" by.
"I don't believe it was a card at all," said the South Africa coach.
"In the first minute already there had been a lot of needle and if you watch the whole game you will see how many yellow cards they were let off.
"This is sport, this is what it's about. If things were clear cut then we shouldn't even bother preparing for a game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion."
McGeechan was not present when De Villiers spoke but when informed of what the Springbok boss had said he admitted: "I am very disappointed if that's what he said.
"Because for me you can't see that and say it's a part of the game that I would ever want to be associated with."

He must be on drugs to come out with this sort of BS.

IMO PDV isn't actually coaching the team, the players are. He is just a quota selection, so that it looks like there is a Black face in charge to keep the SA government off the Springboks backs.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
So, maybe a little close to home, but before we start slamming the decision of my esteemed colleague Mr Hudson, can I at LEAST find out the details of the hearing first and then figure out what the basis is for all of this?

I'll see Huddy in August - it will be interesting to find out the actual details of the hearing...

Note that contact with the eye is a low-end 8 week ban, without any mitigating circumstances. Unless one of you lot is also an IRB Judicial Officer, let's not start jumping to conclusions like a few of you are...

(I actually think that the 2-weeks for Bakkies is more controversial)

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
The suggestion that the incident is all just part of the game would be seen by the courts in a very different light. If the victim complained in this country Burger would likely be arrested and stand a good chance of being charged (or maybe cautioned:confused: ).

I don't know what the reasoning was within the hearing but they have dealt with it and he has been banned.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you remember, AR Bryce Lawrence said it should have been 'at least a yellow card'. I just wish Berdos had taken the hint and gone for a RC

I am maybe doing CB a disservice but from last week as TMO and this week as refereee I suspect that if he heard a sentence with Yellow Card in it then that was what he was going to give. The subtlety of "at least a yellow card" ie "red would be ok too" was lost in translation. Lawrence could and should have recommended red, given what (he said) he saw.

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
this all seems daft to me
we ban a player for 2 years for taking drugs which can only harm theselves and dont improve their performance
we then ban a gy for a few eeks for nearly blinding someone
we ban another for 2 weeks for dislocating his shoulder, which if more serious could be career threatening
if those same offences were put into the civil courts
drug taking - warning at most
assault charges - sentenced ?jail
hmm

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seems to be the more high profile the player the sorter any ban lasts.

Hartley fringe England squad player at the time gets 26 weeks.

Quinlan surprise Lion tourist 12 weeks

Berger one of the best backrow players in the world 8 weeks

Joe Bloggs Old Boys 3rd XV life?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It seems to be the more high profile the player the sorter any ban lasts.

Hartley fringe England squad player at the time gets 26 weeks.

Quinlan surprise Lion tourist 12 weeks

Berger one of the best backrow players in the world 8 weeks

Joe Bloggs Old Boys 3rd XV life?

POC lines captain elect: What gouging!

The whole system stinks!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Note that contact with the eye is a low-end 8 week ban, without any mitigating circumstances. Unless one of you lot is also an IRB Judicial Officer, let's not start jumping to conclusions like a few of you are...
Bryan, Appendix 1 to game regulation 17 says otherwise:

10.4(k) Contact with Eyes or the Eye Area
LE – 12 weeks
MR – 18 weeks
TE – 24+ weeks

maximim sanction: 156 weeks

The lower end can only be reduced where there are "compelling" on-field or off-field mitigating features. I'd love to know what they are. They are unlikley to be on-fiedl; given that Burger should by rights have been RC's after 34 seconds of play, he'd hardly had time to get himself in the ref's good books. He should not receive better treatment because of the officials' error in not excluding him.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Time and time again bans issues are below the lower end. The usual excuse sorry reason is lack of intend "he was not going for the eye the fingers just slipped"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this all seems daft to me
we ban a player for 2 years for taking drugs which can only harm theselves and dont improve their performance
we then ban a gy for a few eeks for nearly blinding someone
we ban another for 2 weeks for dislocating his shoulder, which if more serious could be career threatening
if those same offences were put into the civil courts
drug taking - warning at most
assault charges - sentenced ?jail
hmm

and what do you make of Sheridan's punch to the groin in the 61st minute? Not even mentioned by the Pommie Apologists (say it out loud, nice alliteration)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
and what do you make of Sheridan's punch to the groin in the 61st minute? Not even mentioned by the Pommie Apologists (say it out loud, nice alliteration)
I presume the citing officer decided it was not a red card offence.

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
I didn't see the match but if Sheridan punched someone then I am surprised it was not dealt with. These matches are at the top of the game and we risk sending the wrong message to youngsters.

Alliteration is where words begin with the same letter, Pommie Apologists?????
I understand the sentiment though:D :D :D