Schools rugby in trouble in Sydney

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting scenario. If we take on trust the stated perception that scholarships/bursaries at certain schools are the problem, why is it being suggested that there is an uneven playing field? Are some schools formally prevented from offering them, or is it just that some schools are financially able to cherry-pick the best, while other schools lack the resources to do so?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Part of the problem is that the various school groupings (GPS - Great Public Schools: CAS - Combined Associated Schools; ISA - Independent Schools Association etc) are historic and don't change. So, there are schools which are still in the GPS that are primarliy academic, so have withdrawn from top level rugby, and schools in the "lesser" groups that are developing great rugby programms but aren't considered part of the inner sanctum.

The reason this result has made people sit up is that Newington are well known as a strong rugby school.

Technically sports scholarships are not supposed to happen, but they can always find a way to get a good player in - "disadvantaged" or "social development" bursaries are popular, and there are always the usual whispers about boys on music scholarships who struggle to play the triangle.

Scots seem to most people to have gone over the top - hyperbaric chambers on campus; targeted diet and weights programmes from young ages etc etc

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Tigercraig, do your schools in Sydney have zoning?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I couldn't believe my eyes , Scots winning a match ....101-0 I thought it was a bad dream

Phew, Aussie lads , I thought perhaps the Hastings Bros had come outta retirement :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Part of the problem is that the various school groupings (GPS - Great Public Schools: CAS - Combined Associated Schools; ISA - Independent Schools Association etc) are historic and don't change. So, there are schools which are still in the GPS that are primarliy academic, so have withdrawn from top level rugby, and schools in the "lesser" groups that are developing great rugby programms but aren't considered part of the inner sanctum.

actually : this sounds like the heart of the problem .
If I am reading you correcly schools are organised into, effectively, 1st Div, 2nd Div, 3rd Div etc, but
- there is no promotion/relegation
- membership of each division is not based on the school's standard of rugby, curent or potential.

I think I can see my way to a solution !

But on a serious note: isn't is the essence of what has historically been wrong about rugby?

It's starting to change, but here in England histroically we have similar things : eg it's been the case that independent and state schools don't play eachother. This is why the Natwest Schools cup is such a good thing : in this they do.
At university level Oxford and Cambridge don't participate in the Universities leagues.
etc.

Last edited:

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thats right - being a GPS school is not based on rugby. It was an alliance of schools made in the 1890's. They compete at everything - rugby, cricket, rowing, athletics, soccer, chess, debating etc, and of course all of the 9 schools involved are strong in different things.

Now, I am an old state school boy so have no real issue with seeing little Nigel's and Alastair's getting their heads knocked off by ring-in scholarship boys :clap: , but as a referee have had some dreadfully one sided games

Greig

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't understand the angst. I saw the whole game on video. The teams were even in all aspects but one. Newington's backs were not tackling correctly, all arm tackles, just not getting into position for the shoulder tackle. Newington are just having a bad season (it happens), and can turn it around by sucking it in, having a good hard look at themselves, and knuckling down to some special defence coaching sessions.

I see this all the time. Some team gets thrashed, and the old boys want to accuse the opposition of cheating. "They have an unfair recruitment policy!", etc etc, Whinge whinge, moan, moan. All nonsense.