Scotland [the brave] v NZ

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
It certainly would have been helpful if someone had told mssrs Dickinson, Ford and Murray that on Saturday.

Ford should've set up with his foot in the tunnel much as Parsons and/or Coles did:wink:

Problem with Ross Ford is he actually can't hook at all. Ever since we went from CTPE to CBS he has struggled. Stephen Moore (Aus) was another hooker who had trouble adjusting to novel idea of actually having to hook for the ball. However he has adjusted, Ford hasn't. How often did we see the ball stationary in the tunnel on a Scotland put-in?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Problem with Ross Ford is he actually can't hook at all. Ever since we went from CTPE to CBS he has struggled. Stephen Moore (Aus) was another hooker who had trouble adjusting to novel idea of actually having to hook for the ball. However he has adjusted, Ford hasn't. How often did we see the ball stationary in the tunnel on a Scotland put-in?

I think RF is one of many. I only ever hooked in one match so can't profess to be any sort of expert but having only seen RF on a Rugby field he doesn't strike me as a bloke blessed with loads of flexibility. His thighs are massive along with his arms and chest. If the old hooking strike of right over left and away through channel 1 or 2 still works then swinging his meaty leg past and around its similalry chunky twin must be an effort if you are fairly inflexible.

Brian Moore was not short of a thigh muscle or two but was able to hook under all conditions aas all/most of his contemporaries were - perhaps Daniel Dubroca being the exception.

I know the game has moved on but with the CBS(slap) there is still scope for hooking if you can actually do it in the first place. Maybe it'll take a few years to get rid of all the CTPE gym monkeys and selectively breed a race of flexible hooking hookers?

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I come here for the review of refereeing performances, some we agree with, some we don't. However it's generally more than what he just posted. He got called out on it by Browner and then agreed and changed it to Barnes. Where's the difference in his statement?

Honestly this place used to be a really great place to come and spit ball ideas, however with it becoming more popular I think we are seeing a decline in constructive discussions. Of course that's just my opinion however this place just isn't what it used to be.

OK, I may have been a bit strong on RP's scrum decisions and recanted in face of Browner's admonishment. I lightheartedly suggested confusion with Barnes, because, despite his much support from some on here, I still think he decides who he thinks is the weaker scrum and then blames them for almost everything.

As for being sent to PR just for suggesting you disagree with someone's decisions, well, that's stupid, there'd be hardly anyone left on here.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As for being sent to PR just for suggesting you disagree with someone's decisions, well, that's stupid, there'd be hardly anyone left on here.

I disagree with this suggestion, that the other suggestion that contained a suggestion that a predetermined bias prior to kick off had been decided, I think its an unreal suggestion. I suggest that there would be more that "hardly anyone", & to suggest such a lowly number range suggests 'exaggeration' IMO.
:shrug::biggrin:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There was one where the ball went in and stopped. The scrum remained stationary, and the ball wasn't hooked for several seconds while both teams tried to push each other off the ball.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I disagree with this suggestion, that the other suggestion that contained a suggestion that a predetermined bias prior to kick off had been decided, I think its an unreal suggestion. I suggest that there would be more that "hardly anyone", & to suggest such a lowly number range suggests 'exaggeration' IMO.
:shrug::biggrin:
Errr, you kinda lost me in there somewhere. :confused:

I don't think there's a 'decision' to be biased, rather a subconscious effect. It has been discussed on here before.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
[/B]

There was one where the ball went in and stopped. The scrum remained stationary, and the ball wasn't hooked for several seconds while both teams tried to push each other off the ball.
Sadly, there's been lot more than 1 when RF is no.2, I would have said hooker, but the trades description act might apply.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
[/B]

At halftime even the match officials had a chat about that one saying that was the best scrum of the half for put in just neither team could get a hook in.
Insider info :scot:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Errr, you kinda lost me in there somewhere. :confused:

I don't think there's a 'decision' to be biased, rather a subconscious effect. It has been discussed on here before.

I would tend to agree with those who say Romain Poite seems to have a tendency make up his mind early about which scrum is dominant, and then sticks with it, giving 50/50 calls to that scrum.

At halftime even the match officials had a chat about that one saying that was the best scrum of the half for put in just neither team could get a hook in.
Insider info :scot:

Were you Sideline Sam then?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Perhaps he could do with some lessons from a Pit Bull puppy :biggrin:

NOTE: Where did all that fur go!!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It certainly would have been helpful if someone had told mssrs Dickinson, Ford and Murray that on Saturday.

Ford should've set up with his foot in the tunnel much as Parsons and/or Coles did:wink:

That first scrum was shocking! Went to make a cup of tea and the ball was still in the tunnel

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
BACK ON TOPIC
I have yet to have a comment about my post #3, regarding Black 7 hooking the ball back in the scrum.

If you saw that in one of your games (notwithstanding that the PK in this case was for collapsing the scrum) would you have FK it? How many here can honestly say they knew that Law.

I knew this, but only because an assessment mentioned it to me last year. Edited the original to prove it :hap:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Perhaps he could do with some lessons from a Pit Bull puppy :biggrin:

NOTE: Where did all that fur go!!

Nice vid - ref even had time to run round the scrum and observe from the other side! BCM hasn't changed his tune - "straight and stable". Will we ever see hooking at that height again?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I love the #8 breaking his bind, moving over and rebind between flanker and prop

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
[SUB]Guidance is that all front row need to set up square & forward facing, rather than hanging and twisting ........so the modern question is .......

Can Hookers remain square & Legal in accordance with 20.2 ...AND...Hook as per BCMs historical instructional vid ? [/SUB]