[Law] Scotland vs Italy - Charge down?

merge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At 36 minutes on the game clock: https://youtu.be/95WJjTFFeTc?t=42m47s

Blue 10 kicks ahead and chases his own kick. It bounces and White 9 fly hacks the ball back towards Blue 10 sticks his left hand out close to his side and knocks the ball forward. In real time it looked a bit wrong (not the classic two arms above the head.)

The referee gave a scrum, saying for him it was not a charge down. The definition of a charge down using that wonderful word "immediately" after a kick.
With the benefit of replays is this the correct decision?

If it isn't a charge down did the referee consider whether it is a PK for deliberate knock on - one handed pushing downwards...

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Looks like a charge down to me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It fits the definition doesn't it ?
But I can see why he blew

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Under 2018 LotG wording:
Law 11
5. The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:
a. A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked the it (charge down).

By that definition I would say it was not a KO.
However, Russell seemed to make an attempt to play the ball rather than charge down the kick so a KO and scrum white seems fair. A PK for deliberate KO would seem to be totally disproportionate...but now getting into subjective interpretation of simplified law definitions.......

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
However, Russell seemed to make an attempt to play the ball rather than charge down the kick .......

That but I don't get .. surely a charge down is playing the ball.
Or do you mean he made an attempt to*catch* it ? Would that mean it is not a charge down? Plausible interpretation

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Should a charge down be an intentional act or would you count an afterthought (e.g. Russell potentially moving his hand in the direction of the ball) or accidentally hitting the hand (e.g. if Russell's hand is there but unintentionally) as a charge down?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Those are both charge downs IMO

I am taken by the idea that if you try and catch or control it, then it's not a charge down

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Classic interpretation debate. I remember thinking as I watched the game, "In on of my games, I would have shouted "Charged down" and played on." Ticks all the boxes for how the laws describe a charge-down for me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What decision did the players expect, on balance ?
The Scots weren't really aggreived , were they ,?

I think suspect knock on was the 'safe' ie the best decision

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Agree with crossref, but it is one of those judgement calls you need to be able to accept without getting upset and play on. Wouldn't be a major or indeed any criticism of the referee for his decision, but might discuss if he viewed it differently after seeing the replay.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with crossref, but it is one of those judgement calls you need to be able to accept without getting upset and play on. Wouldn't be a major or indeed any criticism of the referee for his decision, but might discuss if he viewed it differently after seeing the replay.

That's kind of what I meant .. if you play on perhaps you have a lot of *very* aggrieved players, give the knock on players shrug their shoulders and get on with it

That's indicative of the safe decision