Scrum feed

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
U12s festival today. SH put the ball in behind the LHP's LEFT foot. I pingged him. at the end of the game the coach asked "Why?" So, I explained my reasoning. His reply was "We are alowed to feed like that in Wales". I indicated the "three feathers" on my shirt and explained not in my part of Wales. He then changed tack to say "England do it so it is good enough for me".

Where do they get their ideas from?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PMB yesterday I made a point to call out the scrum halves and told them in front of the forwards that “I don’t care what you did last match, you will be feeding straight into the tunnel today.”

Only pinged one feed, every other one was good. Afterwards one player even came up and thanked me for enforcing the put in as straight.

anbocmorrua

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
U12s festival today. SH put the ball in behind the LHP's LEFT foot. I pingged him. at the end of the game the coach asked "Why?" So, I explained my reasoning. His reply was "We are alowed to feed like that in Wales". I indicated the "three feathers" on my shirt and explained not in my part of Wales. He then changed tack to say "England do it so it is good enough for me".

anbocmorrua

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Was this a repeat offence? At u12s I think I would have explained to the scrum half what they were doing wrong the first time. Sometimes at that age they have no idea, especially if the coach is as described.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

FFS. What do these idiots (becasue thats what they are) think they are actually doing? because theya re NOT developing players. They are NOT bloody warren gatland trying to win a world cup taking every short cut possible (picking WG only cos its wales here - not a specific allegation against him :)

Quite aside from which I dont think Ive EVER seen any SH of ANY nationality feed the ball behind the LHP's feet!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Was this a repeat offence? At u12s I think I would have explained to the scrum half what they were doing wrong the first time. Sometimes at that age they have no idea, especially if the coach is as described.
If it had been "resonably bad" as opposed to down right cheating I'd have managed it. But this was clearly coached and the attitude of the coaches confirmed this. So, no, set standards early. It's even quite clearly stated as to standards expected in the English continuum No excuse for being that far off the mark

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
FFS. What do these idiots (becasue thats what they are) think they are actually doing? because theya re NOT developing players. They are NOT bloody warren gatland trying to win a world cup taking every short cut possible (picking WG only cos its wales here - not a specific allegation against him :)

Quite aside from which I dont think Ive EVER seen any SH of ANY nationality feed the ball behind the LHP's feet!
I've seen in in the Pro O'14 (the Celtic, Italian amd RSA league).

Aprat from the sight ammusment atthe time. The realisation that a coach is coaching blatent cheating at under 12 is worrying.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I've seen in in the Pro O'14 (the Celtic, Italian amd RSA league).
I know its not the done thing to slate pro refs here, and that's fair enough on the whole - but this is beyond the pale. Appalling.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Shaun Edwards - 1988

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I pinged for feeding in an u15 game recently, which the coach questioned me about... his position was that he had never seen feeding penalised in a kids' game, therefore he concluded it was allowed... so why did I blow up?
On that occasion the 9 literally threw the ball to the second row's feet.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As a coach for many years 9decades!) or junior and youth rugby I am crying inside.