scrum half restrictions...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I've been asked a couple of queries so here's one of them...

Scrum half is not allowed in the gap between Flanker and 8. This implies that the flanker is standing wide and has left a gap. This then really implies it is the gap between the Flanker and 2nd row.

If the flanker has not gone wide then the scrum half can stand at the flankers feet and still hassle the No 8 and scrum half, whilst remaining behind the ball.

Do they mean Between the 7 and 8 in the Horizontal plane, ie across the pitch, or the vertical plane i.e from goal post to goal post?

What do you think. Can the scrum half still hassle the 8 and opposition sh or not?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
draw a straight line from flanker's hindmost foot to #8's hindmost foot. He can't step over that line. Apart from that and as long as he stays onside, hassle away

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
draw a straight line from flanker's hindmost foot to #8's hindmost foot. He can't step over that line. Apart from that and as long as he stays onside, hassle away

Yes, this line basically creates a triangle shaped space that is off limits to the non ball winning SH.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just to be clear, the 9 can't step into the triangle described by The Fat and implicit in Dickie's post.
I've very rarely seen this happen; more commonly I see the flanker 'adjust' his position out wider to obstruct the 9. I usually try and manage it rather than penalise straight away, but if it prevents fair access to the ball or the oppo 9 with the ball I will ping it.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This then really implies it is the gap between the Flanker and 2nd row.

Unless the flanker is bound onto the lock as a 3rd row. If he is, and angles out, it really does create a pocket.