[Scrum] Scrum or dropout

aidantaylor

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Had this scenario at the weekend: attacker enters 22 (actually about 17m from tryline) and tackled, ball emerges and next man in kicks towards tryline. Ball goes over dead ball line. I gave a scrum but defender thought they should have had a dropout.

The law book supports both decisions but I should really have given defenders an option. If it is a dropout because the ball entered the 22 should the law book say so?

Also a dropout has to cross the 22 line - obviously - but how much? Normally it goes a fair distance but I had one that went about 3m and looked silly. It did cross the line so again how far do we expect the dropout to go?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Aidan,

When an attacker kicks the ball (in open play) all the way through the in goal and dead, then it's ALWAYS an option of a 22m or scrum.

But from the touchline often you don't observe any decision making, as usually it's really clear to everyone which option is better and will be chosen, and everyone forms up accordingly

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Also a dropout has to cross the 22 line - obviously - but how much? Normally it goes a fair distance but I had one that went about 3m and looked silly. It did cross the line so again how far do we expect the dropout to go?

It just needs to cross the line. Just a few inches is enough.
Be aware however that it needs to be a drop kick, not just a punt over the line.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Had this scenario at the weekend: attacker enters 22 (actually about 17m from tryline) and tackled, ball emerges and next man in kicks towards tryline. Ball goes over dead ball line. I gave a scrum but defender thought they should have had a dropout.

The law book supports both decisions but I should really have given defenders an option. If it is a dropout because the ball entered the 22 should the law book say so?

The bit in bold is irrelevant in your situation. As crossref says, it is all to do with the action of the attacker kicking the ball dead through the in-goal.

As to your last question, the ball only has to cross the 22m line. 5cm, 5m, 50m makes no difference. You will sometimes get a player who runs to the 22 and does a little drop kick grubber half a metre over the 22 and then pick the ball up and run with it. All good, play on.