Scrum resets/uncontested

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Anyone see the pitch at the France/Eng game tonight?

What's your theoretical threshold here for uncontested scrums?

I thought Peyper was risking a serious injury for either team.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone see the pitch at the France/Eng game tonight?

What's your theoretical threshold here for uncontested scrums?

I thought Peyper was risking a serious injury for either team.

I certainly thought the Stade Francais surface was more suited for cattle graznng than playing an international rugby match on, but I'm not sure it was bad enough to warrant the scrums going UC

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The scrum collapsed several times due to the ground. At one point he seemed to ask the FR to stay higher, to reduce the pressure on the ground, and said something along the lines of "What should we do now?". Not sure who he was talking to. But thought he was considering going uncontested. I was certainly starting to think about it. But don't think we were quite there..

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I recall a game at Headingley between Leeds and Plymoth Albion that went to u/c scrums after 10-15 minutes for pitch shredding issue at scrum-time. During that thread KLM1 explained to me (a number of times :biggrin:) that going u/c is not an option in law in this scenario. It is only a valid option for lack of STE front rows.

Here is the other thread

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
what's the betting if he said "next one down and we go uncontested" might have solved the problem?????

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember the last discussion we had as well.
Basically the Law gives the referee the power to abandon the game, but not the power to call uncontested scrums. ..

But seems to me that if the two captains decided they wanted to play on with uncontested scrums the referee could allow that