Scrum through 90

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Law 20.11 from 2016 law book:

"If a scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees, so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the touchline, the referee must stop play and order another scrum.
(b)
This new scrum is formed at the place where the previous scrum ended. The ball is thrown in by the team that previously threw it in."

I didn't know of the change!

In force now??

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I didn't know either, thought that was only for kids games
There could never be a turnover at U19 level because this scrum would be reset when you got to 45°.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Became law in Aus from Jan 1 2016.
I was of the understanding that the law changes for 2016 don't apply to NH until July 2016. I thought I had read that somewhere but I have done a quick search and couldn't find anything. Will keep looking.

According to SArefs, the changes re 90 degree wheel applied to Super Rugby but not 6N so from their information they appear to agree with my understanding.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was of the understanding that the law changes for 2016 don't apply to NH until July 2016. I thought I had read that somewhere but I have done a quick search and couldn't find anything. Will keep looking

That's what I thought as well. Not had any communication on this from Society or RFU?

Just checked and in the download of the new law book (2016) all changes are highlighted. The bit about scrum wheeling is NOT highlighted?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was of the understanding that the law changes for 2016 don't apply to NH until July 2016. I thought I had read that somewhere but I have done a quick search and couldn't find anything. Will keep looking.

According to SArefs, the changes re 90 degree wheel applied to Super Rugby but not 6N so from their information they appear to agree with my understanding.
Agreed.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
msf..

Attachments

• World Rugby Law Changes 2016 (2).pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 21

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If these are amendments to 2015 to take effect 2016 then surely they must be effect now.

However, I received this response to my inquiry re. Law 8 & Law 20 not being in sync:

The RFU has written to world rugby stating it is a serious omission in law 8 to leave out collapsed scrum when advantage should not be played. Northern Hemisphere Referee Societies have been instructed not to make reference to the 2016 Law book until the commencement of next season. There are many 'discrepancies' where clarification is sought.
Regards
Dave Broadwell

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The RFU has written to world rugby stating it is a serious omission in law 8 to leave out collapsed scrum when advantage should not be played. Northern Hemisphere Referee Societies have been instructed not to make reference to the 2016 Law book until the commencement of next season. There are many 'discrepancies' where clarification is sought. Regards. Dave Broadwell

Things like this do make World Rugby look a touch shambolic if I am being honest.

Would it be worth someone suggesting to them that proposed revised wording be sent out to interested groups (such as RR.com) for consultation before they get released to the public / the internet. Make it a closed group (sworn to secrecy) if you like, and it will cost them nothing. Let's be blunt, between the lot of us if there's a discrepancy somewhere, I'd happily bet £10 that someone on here will spot it.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Would it be worth someone suggesting to them that proposed revised wording be sent out to interested groups (such as RR.com) for consultation before they get released to the public / the internet. Make it a closed group (sworn to secrecy) if you like, and it will cost them nothing. Let's be blunt, between the lot of us if there's a discrepancy somewhere, I'd happily bet £10 that someone on here will spot it.

but there are numerous examples of Laws where we cannot reach no agreement on what the wording actually means... I am not sure that a RR.COM panel will lead to clarity :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As much as I'd like to think that my position on (and opinion of) the Laws is superior and should be considered by the law makers at WR I don't think an open forum like RR would work very well. Too many folks disagree with me so they'd be much better off sending me the proposed law amendments as a PM and then they'd get it right first time.

I think I'll go feed the critters and walk the dogs while I'm waiting.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
but there are numerous examples of Laws where we cannot reach no agreement on what the wording actually means... I am not sure that a RR.COM panel will lead to clarity :)
But this isn't an "interpretation" issue ... it looks like a straightforward omission issue, ie a rush-job, where things get missed.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
When this was all announced it was said NH from the 2016/17 season.

I see no reason at all for RugbyRefs.com's opinion to be garnered. I do however think that the various unions should have been involved. Whether or not they were is in known to me.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
When this was all announced it was said NH from the 2016/17 season.
So I assume the SH are expected to play to the lawbook now.

.. I see no reason at all for RugbyRefs.com's opinion to be garnered.
I used RR.com as an example, but for a world governing body you have to admit it looks a touch shambolic.