Sean O'Brien Stamps on Donnacha Ryan

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Incident is right in front of referee so I assume that he has seen it and is happy with it. There is no citing so I assume thats the correct call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOivIPe8NYc

Watch the actions of Sean O'Brien - he stamps on Donnacha Ryan at least 6 times, including stamping his groin area which Ryan holds wincing after the incident. To me this is clearly against [LAWS]Law 10.4(b) Stamping or trampling. A player must not stamp or trample on an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

I would expect this to be at least a penalty offence with a chance of a card.

What do others think?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't actually think he makes that much contact and only seems to catch the top of his back, not scrape all of the way down.

I think the "stamping" player was just making a point :chin:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
More of a trample than a stamp. Quick whistle for a PK against player on the wrong side prevents this escalating.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Way I see it, you either whistle early for Ryan being there illegally of there or else you penalise O'Brien some trampling/stamping on him.

The referee failed to do either which I would say is poor game management and certainly not something any of us should be allowing to go unchecked

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Way I see it, you either whistle early for Ryan being there illegally of there or else you penalise O'Brien some trampling/stamping on him.

The referee failed to do either which I would say is poor game management and certainly not something any of us should be allowing to go unchecked
I agree. The use of the boot was certainly illegal. You are not allowed to "make a point" by using your feet on a player. Law 16.3 (f).

Even if you decided Ryan was illegal, I think you should reverse the penalty.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He seems to give a penalty to Blue at the end of the clip. Why?

Either the blue chasers were offside, or the blue player took out the catcher in the air.

Either way I can only see a red penalty :confused:

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Phil, just poor signalling. Munster were awarded a penalty for Nacewa's tackling in the air. He just signalled wrong.

Wasn't all that impressed with him to be honest. No major blunders but game management was poor. In this clip we see him ignore a potential flashpoint, give poor signals.

The fact that English wasn't his first language meant he used the whistle rather than his voice to control the match and there was a whopping penalty count - I know at at least 11 penalties were kicked at goal and there were quite a lot more in the middle of the field.

I felt that he was late to go to yellow cards (1 each) and escalated badly I thought.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That looked to me like a player making a point rather than actual stamping.

In days of yore, perfectly acceptable - when I started refereeing, I gave a penalty for exactly what you saw there. And got ticked off - by the guy who'd gotten the slippering.

Nowadays? Yeah, that's a penalty

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Incident is right in front of referee so I assume that he has seen it and is happy with it. There is no citing so I assume thats the correct call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOivIPe8NYc

Watch the actions of Sean O'Brien - he stamps on Donnacha Ryan at least 6 times, including stamping his groin area which Ryan holds wincing after the incident. To me this is clearly against [LAWS]Law 10.4(b) Stamping or trampling. A player must not stamp or trample on an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

I would expect this to be at least a penalty offence with a chance of a card.

What do others think?

Nothing in it, play on from me.

Ball came available and the penalty I would give would be for the red player being on the wrong side. Blue got use of the ball so all good.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Nothing in it, play on from me.
[LAWS]Law 16.3 (f) A player rucking for the ball must not intentionally ruck players on the ground.[...][/LAWS]So you see no need to enforce this law?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The player is driven on to the wrong side and the Blue player is straight in with the boot,several times. That is a "walk" for me. To many people think that is "acceptable" play and weak refereeing like that encourages the view.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 16.3 (f) A player rucking for the ball must not intentionally ruck players on the ground.[...][/LAWS]So you see no need to enforce this law?
Hi OB,
I agree it's simply a poor call by the match ref.
I wondered who this new :france: French ref might be, so I did a little snooping on his background :
33 year old Pascal Gauzere hasn't impressed much* here in France either. (*according to one website poll.) He was mentioned in dispatches back in May 2010, for all the wrong reasons. Last December, he had the reins for Baa-baas v South Africa at Twickenham, one of his few International matches to date. He says himself he hardly slept the night before the game, with worry.

Without wishing to be controversial, if one considers the pressure on France to provide International referees, it may go some way toward explaining how he's made it on to the iRB panel this season. That and the fact that Michel Lamoulie, from his home club* is one of only 4 current iRB selectioners. Another club member is Éric Darrière, is a former International referee. One would imagine such contacts help when turning pro.
Perhaps his command of the English language is one of the reasons he got the Leinster v Munster match. Joël Judge gives regular feed back on all his games, so I reckon he'll already be aware of his failings during this game.

*He played flanker for AS Montfort 'til he was 25. Apparently his debut as a ref came while banned from playing at 21, when a retired ref (Jacques Bordelane) came and told him that's how he himself had come to take up the whistle.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

No I do see a need to enforce the law although like I said the first penalty for me was the red player on the wrong side, the ball became available for blue so they get to use it. Next bit of downtime (probably a scrum) I would have a quiet word with 6 blue about the use of the feet.
Why blow a penalty that you can manage on the run and keep the game flowing as a result?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No I do see a need to enforce the law although like I said the first penalty for me was the red player on the wrong side, the ball became available for blue so they get to use it. Next bit of downtime (probably a scrum) I would have a quiet word with 6 blue about the use of the feet.
Why blow a penalty that you can manage on the run and keep the game flowing as a result?
Because retaliation is illegal and that was blatant. Totally unacceptable.