Season Goal

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
So, one of my goals this season was to cover 4 miles in a single game.

My final decent level game of the year was a College D1A game. Weather was cold and wet.

First Half: 1.87 miles (a little disappointed in this number)
Second Half: 2.12 miles (a new distance record for one half)
Total: 3.99 miles :frown:

Well son of a bitch. So close. If only I had taken a couple of more steps.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Look on the bright side. If your device records movement from kickoff until final whistle, you probably moved about during half time so were much further from your goal than the device says, so it's not a marginal miss. Alternatively, if your device records movement only when time is on, you probably moved 18 yards while time was off; we would consider this part of the game (quick word with flankers during time off, etc), so you actually hit your target.

Well done!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So, one of my goals this season was to cover 4 miles in a single game.

My final decent level game of the year was a College D1A game. Weather was cold and wet.

First Half: 1.87 miles (a little disappointed in this number)
Second Half: 2.12 miles (a new distance record for one half)
Total: 3.99 miles :frown:

Well son of a bitch. So close. If only I had taken a couple of more steps.

Why is that a goal? The more territory you cover doesn't make you a better referee.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe not, but it may reflect keeping up with the play.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Not necessarily. Walsh runs very different lines to Owens yet would you say he is behind play?

I just think it's a pretty silly goal, because to get it you need to have an open flowing game, and to an extent you cannot control the outcome of it. Perhaps to get an open game you may need to let some stuff go at the breakdown to allow some turnovers and counter attacks. Does this now play into your mind when looking at hitting 4 miles in a game, thinking "ah he was off his feet there but we have the ball out, let's play", or do you want to be accurate and relevant.

The territory you cover is dependent on how the players want to play the game, obviously you aren't going to cover much ground in a pick and drive fest, yet to get two sides who want to throw the ball from wing to wing is very rare.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Drift:285594 said:

Not necessarily. Walsh runs very different lines to Owens yet would you say he is behind play?

I just think it's a pretty silly goal, because to get it you need to have an open flowing game, and to an extent you cannot control the outcome of it. Perhaps to get an open game you may need to let some stuff go at the breakdown to allow some turnovers and counter attacks. Does this now play into your mind when looking at hitting 4 miles in a game, thinking "ah he was off his feet there but we have the ball out, let's play", or do you want to be accurate and relevant.

The territory you cover is dependent on how the players want to play the game, obviously you aren't going to cover much ground in a pick and drive fest, yet to get two sides who want to throw the ball from wing to wing is very rare.

This is true. I only look at distance covered after the game. I don't make any decisions based on how far i have covered. It was just a little side game that I have been playing with myself.

It started as a fitness measurement. Last year I was covering around 3 miles a game. I put in extra time in during the off season, dropped some weight, and doing equivalent games this year I was covering around 3.5 miles a game.

Think of it as less a goal and more of an internal challenge.

Last edited: