Season over...

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A few mixed feelings at the moment as I have had to take a job in Broken Hill (Far West NSW, some 1,400 kms away from my home town) till the end of the year and there is no rugby out there:wow:!!!. Nearest competition is about 1000km round trip.

So after a really enjoyable season and some real progress with my refereeing (and fitness), unfortunately my 2011 season is over :(.

To make the best of a bad situation - at least there is a golf course...

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Closer to Adelaide than Sydney.

I believe you can fly to sydney or Adelaide from there, if you really want rugby. maybe the union will contribute a bit to airfares.

Or,

Help form a team?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A few mixed feelings at the moment as I have had to take a job in Broken Hill (Far West NSW, some 1,400 kms away from my home town) till the end of the year and there is no rugby out there:wow:!!!. Nearest competition is about 1000km round trip.

So after a really enjoyable season and some real progress with my refereeing (and fitness), unfortunately my 2011 season is over :(.

To make the best of a bad situation - at least there is a golf course...

See no reason why you should not take up Dickie E's suggestion.

Refereeing a little RL won't kill you, though the eternal mockery you may be subjected to from your Rah Rah mates might :biggrin:.

Seeing how the other half lives might do you some good. I have played both codes, and while I have never refereed RL, I probably would have had I ever ended up in your situation.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
And the rule book is only 4 pages long!!!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's amazing what you can achieve when you don't need a flowchart to work out whether the ball's in touch...

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
RL is a fair suggestion but I don't think I could refereeing it. I've already got some experience in RL starting with 14s, 15s and 16s and then some decent school teams until I swapped for rugby at 17s and haven't really felt the want or need to go back. It's ok to watch on the tv but at the grass roots level I just don't find the same camaraderie as rugby.

Think I'd rather play 'whack - f@#$' (golf) or soccer (football).