Second time in 4 years

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
...that my match has been called off after I've travelled to it.

First was 10 miles away last season whre a girls team just didn't turn up.

Second one was today after 40miles trip - game called of for waterlogged pitch. Home team had a number for me that was 3 years out of date, but it was only called off an hour before the KO anyway, so wouldn't have saved the trip. Was offered cup of coffee, but no mention of expenses so I'll follow that up.

I suppose two in 4 years ain't bad.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Personaly if I dont get a call from the home team by friday I dont travel and will contact my appts sec with a view to him finding a re appt,, Soon focuses their attention when you say to then Sorry not available any more,

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ditto ballsie

Only when on exchange do I chase it

I know some Socs procedures differ...

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Happened to me on a Sunday, coach said oh it's just been called off??? This was an hour before KO, where are the teams then? Oh they have all been told.
Oh that will be XX for my expenses then, errr well, err nothing money please or I will deal with it formally.

Wonder what a societies point of view on this,

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Warwickshire policy is, if the ref has traveled to the game because it was confirmed with him and then he was not told it was cancelled, or teams don't turn up. Club gets billed for the full match fee. Ref gets his petrol money from Society.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hampshire reserves the right to fine clubs for all late cancellations (after 9 pm Friday) as wel as charge the usual match fee, except where there is good cause (e.g. away side bus breaks down, massive traffic jams, flight from Channel Islands / ferries from IOW cancelled, sudden rain deluge, etc).

Where a referee travels, to discover only one or no teams (or a locked and deserted clubhouse, his mileage or public transport costs are charged at our standard rate too.

We expect clubs to communicate and keep referee informed and once a match is off call him immediately. Most clubs are pretty good.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had 2 instances last season,

One I travelled to Upper Eden and pitch was unplayable due to sudden deluge of rain with the agreement of both captains, game off.

two, travelled to Penrith and as I arrived oppos phoned to say game was off as the couldn't raise a team.
140 mile round trip each time. Both instances clubs paid my exes straight away without prompting though I hope Penrith claimed from the opposition

not sure what the actual protocol is for clubs in this situation .

Thhis has happened to me a few times over 8 years and everytime the home club has paid without hesitation.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Personaly if I dont get a call from the home team by friday I dont travel and will contact my appts sec with a view to him finding a re appt

There is no requirement to confirm fixtures direct to refs from clubs in Sussex. In 4 years I think I've had two calls - one from a school and one from a brand new club which was more about making sure I didn't mix the venue up with a nearby club.

I suppose the most important thing is that everyone works consistently with the system they have.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I suppose the most important thing is that everyone works consistently with the system they have.

I presume yours relies on the club informing the Appointments Secretary, who informs the referee when a game is called off? How well does that work?

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I presume yours relies on the club informing the Appointments Secretary, who informs the referee when a game is called off? How well does that work?

Obviously works well given that I've only had two game-off-after-arrival. One where the away oppo just didn't show, so no-one could have done anything, and one called off when I was within 20 mins of the ground where home team should have called the sec but thought they had my mobile so called it (unfortunately it was an old number).

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
only applies at our level Alan. All Fed appointments are confirmed by phone as per other societies normal protocols. It is rumoured that it will change at our level, when appt sec retires. But there have been two false starts on that!

It happens of a Weds pm in school league games more often than it should. I've stood around for a no show VIth form away team of a Wednesday on a fair few occasions.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I turn up and no game I expect expenses to be paid, as they are that expenses to cover the cost of getting there, it ain't a match fee.

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Expenses are paid if referee travels in Wales.