Sent off for diving!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yeah.

That ref had a shocker. Got that wrong, and his penalty decisions wrong. O to be a fly on the wall at his debrief.
"So, the one on Reid WAS, but the one on Huth wasn't. Go look up 'consistency'. And then the Carroll decision.... I believe it's called a 'makeup' decision"

Look for Mr Moss to get a rest next week

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
The game is impossible to referee when so many people are so determined to cheat. Vardy's was just about the least convincing dive I've seen in the last 20 years, it was like watching Zebedee.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
was it a straight send off or a 2nd yellow card?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
2nd yellow

what I saw, then, was the Blue player fouled who then milked it. YC seems about right to me. So the banner of "Vardy's sensational send-off" is somewhat disingenuous but sells more papers than "Vardy's sensational yellow card".

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd just like to see it more often. Yes there was some contact but he threw himself to the ground like he'd been taken out by a sniper in the grandstand.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The reward for a successful dive is too great. It seems to me that the reward can sometime be far in excess of the foul? Should an attacker brought down as he runs through the corner of the 18 yard box really be rewarded with a penalty kick? .

Soccer could do themselves a big favour by doing away with the penalty kick for bringing a player down in the 18 yard box. Instead, a penalty kick would only be awarded for the illegal actions of the defender if it prevented a probable goal from being scored, i.e

Hand ball to an "on target" shot on goal
Fouling the attacker in the act of shooting

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The reward for a successful dive is too great. It seems to me that the reward can sometime be far in excess of the foul? Should an attacker brought down as he runs through the corner of the 18 yard box really be rewarded with a penalty kick? .

Soccer could do themselves a big favour by doing away with the penalty kick for bringing a player down in the 18 yard box. Instead, a penalty kick would only be awarded for the illegal actions of the defender if it prevented a probable goal from being scored, i.e

Hand ball to an "on target" shot on goal
Fouling the attacker in the act of shooting

Don't disagree but where would the wall stand if free kick was within 10 yards of the goal?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In RU where do the defenders stand if the PK is less than 10m from the tryline may be a starting point to answer that?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd just like to see it more often. Yes there was some contact but he threw himself to the ground like he'd been taken out by a sniper in the grandstand.

Howard Webb in the Times points out that such contact as there was was initiated by Vardy.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In soccer, can you have an indirect free kick inches from the goal mouth?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yep - if the goalkeeper picks up a ball that his own team passed back, for example.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Free-kicks to the attackers inside the penalty area are an absolute shitfest and should be avoided wherever possible. The beginning of the end in that game for me began with an indirect free-kick about five yards from the goal line.

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Any free kick awarded in the "goal area", the box enclosed by lines six yards from the goal line and six yards from each post, is taken from a point at least six yards from the goal line.

That's still very close to the goal, leading to the scenes in that video!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't even get why that was a FK in the first place? The grey player was already inside the 18yd box when he passed it back from a cross by white.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
You're not allowed to use your feet to intentionally pass the ball to the goalkeeper. It doesn't matter where you are on the pitch. You know, with Law knowledge like that, you might actually make a decent footballer...

(One time I heard "It can't be a back-pass! I was on the goal line and I passed it forward to him!")

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're not allowed to use your feet to intentionally pass the ball to the goalkeeper. It doesn't matter where you are on the pitch. You know, with Law knowledge like that, you might actually make a decent footballer...

(One time I heard "It can't be a back-pass! I was on the goal line and I passed it forward to him!")

OK, I thought the law was you were not allowed to back pass to the goalie from outside the 18 yd box. Was that ever the Law?

I don't watch enough soccer to be bothered finding out

Last edited: