Silly or Flexible Laws That You Bend or Outright Ignore

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
19.6 has a good diagram, showing that a full foot in play is wrong. I would suggest it is managed on the first occasion - with a word and a retake, and the clear indication that this will be FKd in future. Then follow through.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
19.6 has a good diagram, showing that a full foot in play is wrong. I would suggest it is managed on the first occasion - with a word and a retake, and the clear indication that this will be FKd in future. Then follow through.

Surely there are more important battles to be fought in a match? It's not one of the Big 5 so it's not considered important by the players or coaches so why bother?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely there are more important battles to be fought in a match? It's not one of the Big 5 so it's not considered important by the players or coaches so why bother?
Is a forward pass or a knock-on among the Big 5 ? Would you ignore them if not?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Bryan is suggesting that to award a FK in the red zone at a critical time in the game for an infringement like prop failing to touch shoulder may be a bit jobsworth.

hardly suggesting...confirming....and I second it!

Davet

Post Likes

But it is considered important by many players, especially the opposition from supporter in the line who is often seen gesticulating.

You cannot simply ignore whole swathes of the law because they are trivial, doing so leads to players losing confidence in you, and think that you don't actually know the law - I have heard conversations between players after a few games I've watched where the ref displayed this sort of tolerance for several minor infractions - just ignored them - and the players were basically having a great laugh about easy it had been to put one over on the ref, and how he "didn't have a clue". But the greater danger is that players who think you are not doing your job will either start to chat back, leading to unnecessary penalties even cards, or worse start to belive that if you won't enforce the Laws, they will have to do so in the traditional manner.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
My personal opinion on the matter, is that if the thrower's foot steps onto the line it seems ok to me since the line itself is part of touch, and it is generally trivial in effects on the game. I think as a ref. I would blow the whistle and warn the first time then FK if a majority of his foot is past the line (i.e. almost a full step in front of the line.) I don't see anything wrong with enforcing this as long as it's consistent but I guess I'm really technical when it comes to things. Though I guess as an AR, should one really be concerned with this in the same regard?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it is pointed out to me I will reply that I will enforce it for BOTH throwers if it becomes a problem, let me ref it or we might fall out.

Davet

Post Likes
tim - very much so. if something is pointed out then it applies to both sides - and many a complainer has fallen foul of that.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 19.6 [...] The player must not step into the field of play when the ball is thrown. [...][/LAWS]This is not very specific.

This is:-[LAWS]6.B.5 (d) When to lower the flag. When the ball is thrown in, the touch judge or assistant referee must lower the flag, with the following exceptions:
Exception 1: When the player throwing in puts any part of either foot in the field of play, the touch judge or assistant referee keeps the flag up.
[...][/LAWS]

In practice most referees allow the hooker to have his feet on the touchline, perhaps overlapping somewhat. He has both feet in touch (according to Law 19.)

However if the thrower takes a clear step into the FoP, or never leaves it properly (eg when taking a QT), then he usually gets pinged.

Makes sense to me, but it would be nice if they tidied up the laws.