Single stud on toe of boot?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The prohibition of the 'single toe stud' boot needs review. When this happens (if ever) my guess is that there will be no factual support for such a ban. Y'all can conjecture all you want but until someone comes up with PROOF that it's truly dangerous I will continue to believe that it's a non-issue.

Is there ANYONE out there that agrees with me? I know that many won't.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The prohibition of the 'single toe stud' boot needs review. When this happens (if ever) my guess is that there will be no factual support for such a ban. Y'all can conjecture all you want but until someone comes up with PROOF that it's truly dangerous I will continue to believe that it's a non-issue.

Is there ANYONE out there that agrees with me? I know that many won't.

There are two questions: Is it legal? Is it dangerous?

The answers are: NO, and "let's argue".

IRB Regulation 12 goes into quite a lot of details including
RISK ASSESSMENT
Three main injury mechanisms are prevalent during play:
(a) Glancing
(b) Raking
(c) Stamping
In each case one or more studs/cleats on the boot sole may contact the
other player depending on circumstances.
The worst-case scenario in any event will be when a single stud/cleat,
normally one toward the edge of the sole, makes contact alone.

and it specifically prohibits
Construction and design
There shall not be a single stud/cleat at the toe of the boot.

You are welcome to campaign against the prohibition, but if you decide to ignore it and hope referees will not notice, you may have a problem.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I've yet to have anyone maimed in one my games by a Kalashnikov - but that doesn't mean I'll allow one on the pitch.

if it's molded rubber how do you have them remove it and why? it's not a single stud? just curious?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
if it's molded rubber how do you have them remove it and why? it's not a single stud? just curious?
You are defining "stud" to mean "removable stud". However what matter is shape size, location etc. That is what makes it potentially dangerous, not whether or not it is removable.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
i'd be very suprised if the studs in the photo we have seen in post #1 and then the other image are moulded rubber? They look like screw-in to me:norc:

On a pitch that is probably watered, any prop worth his sort will be using moulded studs!

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
how do you define "stud muffin"?

Not like this:

IMG_1095-vi.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
if it's molded rubber how do you have them remove it and why?

By telling them to change their boots...............or they aren't playing. :nono:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
And - note - the section prohibiting a single stud at the toe is headed "Construction and design"

If the single stud is simply the remaining stud of a pair where one is lost the boot was neither constructed nor designed with a single stud...

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
4.4 Banned items of clothing includes (i) A player must not wear a single stud at the toe of the boot.

I view this as a matter of fact, and rather like wearing jewellery or gloves. If a boot is missing a stud at the toe, that is, in my view, wearing a single stud at the toe of the boot and I send them away to put another stud in or at least move one from further back.

(I also tend to point out any missing studs and boots with significant splits/cuts telling the player to be very careful where he puts his feet)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
4.4 Banned items of clothing includes (i) A player must not wear a single stud at the toe of the boot.

I view this as a matter of fact, and rather like wearing jewellery or gloves. If a boot is missing a stud at the toe, that is, in my view, wearing a single stud at the toe of the boot and I send them away to put another stud in or at least move one from further back.

(I also tend to point out any missing studs and boots with significant splits/cuts telling the player to be very careful where he puts his feet)

"At the toe"? Most boots have a pair of studs set back from the toe, and there has been considerable discussion as to whether the law covers the situation where one of those is missing. As has been pointed out, the IRB Regulation applies to Construction and Design.

I agree with trying to get studs moved, but sometimes the stud is missing because the thread in the hole is too damaged to hold one. What then?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I agree with trying to get studs moved, but sometimes the stud is missing because the thread in the hole is too damaged to hold one. What then?

A new/another pair of boots, or remove the single stud.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And if he's a front rower? Like the man in question? You'd permit a boot with NO studs? Why not bare feet?

This is such a bogus issue!

I had a referee explain to me that the reason the toe stud was banned was that it made a player faster and so was an unfair advantage! What planet did HE come from?

On a wet or muddy pitch I'd rather see a pack player with a full set of cleats (and one at the front) than worn out studs or moulded soles. How about some common sense?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And if he's a front rower? Like the man in question? You'd permit a boot with NO studs? Why not bare feet?

This is such a bogus issue!

I had a referee explain to me that the reason the toe stud was banned was that it made a player faster and so was an unfair advantage! What planet did HE come from?

On a wet or muddy pitch I'd rather see a pack player with a full set of cleats (and one at the front) than worn out studs or moulded soles. How about some common sense?
How about sticking to the laws? There are all sorts of ambiguities in them, but the single stud at the toe is very specific.

I can understand people wanting to extend the meaning to cover one of a pair, but how would you justify allowing the designed single stud?

Or are you simply saying you would like the law to be changed?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Change the law.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Change the law.

Is it so hard to buy conforming boots?

You have to go a very long way out of your way to find boots with a single stud at the toe and if your players are stupid enough to have done this then they'll have to go back to the store and buy a proper pair.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
ddjamo - just be thankful you have a good side.

Mind you - you clearly need one :D