Sir Graham Henry's biography...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Trying to connect a 5 wickets in hand and 3 runs to win cricket scenario couldn't have been further off the mark for the relevance between the AB's vs France in the RWC. That scenario couldn't be anywhere close to RWC 07.

Gee you're clever Chief; pity they didn't teach you English Comprehension at school. Perhaps you should go back and learn.

The example given was not intend to connect the two.

Go back to Gagger where you belong

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cave Dweller

Too much is being made of GH's comment re: match fixing. Once again, true to form, the media have taken what he wrote completely out of context and have blown it out of all proportion

Here is the quote direct from the book, my emphasis

" (I) briefly contemplated match-fixing as the only logical explanation¡±

The truth is he does not think that now, but the media are either too stupid to understand what "briefly" means, or they deliberately ignore that part of the quote so that they can sell papers -- I suspect the latter.

Ask yourself if this:

You are watching a Pakistan v South Africa cricket match.

Pakistan needs three runs to win with five wickets in hand.

Pakistan loses all five wickets in the space of two overs, while adding only one run.

Would you "briefly" suspect match fixing?

haha Pakistan of course your going to find something suspicious there due to the Indian intellegence service tapping the syndicates and players phones and telling the world about it. But its cricket which is different. What if all 5 those guys were given out LBW with balls pitch outside the line of the stumps? Either blind ref or he's in on a bit of trouble making but thats now how they make money. You still need players to score only a certain amount of runs and still need the other team to get your total. Amount of runs score and scores by players is what is bookies looking for. A bet for a win no matter how it was done you will find at a local legal bookie where you put your2 bucks down. International betting syndicates who pay players and officials work with bets thats runs into the thousands per bet. So things like the score points difference try scorers and times it was score play a massive part and out of a referees control.

World Cup 2007 showed he who kicked the most won the matches. The last world Cup that was won by a team who had the most possession was 2003.

Anyone do me a favor and check the France vs NZ line outs won/lost in that game. In all the World Cups most tries were scored from line outs and the team who won it scored the most from it. In 2007 possession was irrelevant as South Africa came out with a new style which forever changed the way how the game was played and destroyed half the IRB's charter of who has most possession will score most tries and win the game.

But in 2007 the penalty count per game was less than in 2011. So one can not ask why NZ didn't get a pot at goal for xxxxxxx minutes.

But clearly stuff like this help sell books. P Divvy has done it they all have done it and just a simple ploy to create contraversy which will in turn lead to people buying the book.

Wayne Smith one of my favorite kiwi's wrote a nice article over what NZ lack and what they did to get where they are now.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks Ian, I'll save it for a nice message.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
" (I) briefly contemplated match-fixing as the only logical explanation”

I know a priest who briefly contemplated diddling an altar boy. Is the brevity of the contemplation relevant?

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Shows how little you know about Ted.

He is a person who, like a lot of kiwis, does not pander to snobs, the politically correct and those who are afraid to say what they really think. During his time as the Headmaster of Auckland Grammar, the boys were given no favours for who they were (or who their parents were). He was only interested in what they they could achieve, and how hard they were prepared to work to achieve it. Like a lot of Kiwis, he will say what he thinks, and not giving a monkeys whose feelings might be injured, or toes might be trod on in saying it. He doesn't call a spade a spade, he calls it a shovel!!!

If you haven't read his book (and I have) you might be better to read it first before you indulge in idle, ill-informed and misguided speculation. A lot of the bollocks that has been quoted in the media about what he said has been taken entirely out of context. IMO, this was the right time for him to put his feelings and perceptions in print. He has now won a world cup, and has retired from the game; there is no unfinished business. I find it refreshing to read a sports biography that doesn't gloss over the uncomfortable issues and sweep the controverial things under the rug. He is telling HIS story, the way HE sees it, and I applaud him for doing so without fear or favour.

Technically, his analysis of the 2007 quarter-final is right on the money. It was extraordinary (and unprecedented) that a team who spent three quarters of the last 50 minutes of a match defending, much of it within their own 22, could do so without being penalised even once. Not even a free kick or an advantage call. His suggestion that Wayne Barnes was too inexperienced to be refereeing a match of that magnitude, and that he essentially folded under pressure, was also correct. It was clear and obvious to ANYONE watching the game that he was refereeing only one side, and completely ignoring material offences by the French that were occurring right in front of him. The parallels between that match and Bryce Lawrence's abysmal effort in the Australia v South Africa semi in 2011 are remarkable; but at least BL had the courage and fortitude to come out after the game and admit how badly he got it wrong.

Bob Francis, one of the selectors who picked WB for that match agreed in a radio interview this morning that, in hindsight, it was a mistake to select such an inexperienced referee for such an important fixture, when there were far more experienced referees available, e.g. Chris White, who was not appointed to referee any play-off matches in spite of his vast experience as an international referee. Instead, he was posted to the TMO Box. What were they thinking??

Having said all that, as Cave Dweller rightly states, Ted and his team didn't have the Plan B they should have had, and if they had, then this whole issue would never have arisen. However, this does not negate the fact the WB should never have been put in the position he was with so little international experience, a position that the iRB clearly did not allow any referees to be put in at the 2011 event, and likely, they will never make that particular mistake again.

So 40 offences went unpunished. Right. What a load of total tosh. If that shows his analysis correct then I suspect that conclusion is wrong.

Your straight talker is someone else's whinger ( I guess it depend on which the side of the fence you sit. He was a whinger when in charge of Wales and that has not changed. As I said he was always a decent bloke in a one to one situation.

Nothing wrong with telling his story but If that is his analysis then you must doubt his accuracy. But then YOUR track record indicated that any critique of your beloved country is always wrong. I'll not worry about your rather pathetic insults to me and others who have the temerity to fail to bow down the the sacred cow that is New Zealand.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
So 40 offences went unpunished. Right. What a load of total tosh. If that shows his analysis correct then I suspect that conclusion is wrong.

On what do you base your conclusion that he is wrong? Have you gone through and analysed it? Perhaps you just that you feel, deep down, that it couldn't be so?

Not without some kind of fix anyway.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I for one am finding this thread thoroughly unpleasant. Can we please cut out the slanging matches?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Grahame Henry is not a British citizen, and is not entitled to be called "Sir".

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
This thread reads very much like a Plantrugby thread. I'm sure we'd all rather that doesn't happen here. It's all rather childish. Name calling on a rugby website by intelligent people - bit sad really.

Please be civil - it's the hallmark of this site.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Or at least use a stilleto not a bludgeon.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
On what do you base your conclusion that he is wrong? Have you gone through and analysed it? Perhaps you just that you feel, deep down, that it couldn't be so?
Not without some kind of fix anyway.

Yes I have gone through the game. I also find it absurd that all the errors went against the poor old All Blacks. Let's get some perspective and honesty and take the national blinkers off!

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Some of the remarks and reactions on this and other threads bring little credit to the posters.

Civility costs nothing.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I for one am finding this thread thoroughly unpleasant. Can we please cut out the slanging matches?

This. Please, pull your necks in and stick to the issue(s). No ad hominem ​ attacks please.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find it very interesting that the definition of "briefly contemplated" is heavily implied to be "considered it long enough to review the entire game in enough detail to produce an exhaustive list of all the reasons why it might be so".

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I find it very interesting that the definition of "briefly contemplated" is heavily implied to be "considered it long enough to review the entire game in enough detail to produce an exhaustive list of all the reasons why it might be so".

Meh. All coaches do a thorough review of all their games, otherwise they would not be very successful. One of the things that Henry is famous for is his attention to video analysis of opposing teams and referees.

Not quite sure what you are trying to get at here.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So 40 offences went unpunished. Right. What a load of total tosh.

You can of course back up that assertion with some evidence...no? Thought not"

Your straight talker is someone else's whinger

What was that phrase you used earlier.. "a load of tosh" was it? Applies well to that.

Nothing wrong with telling his story but If that is his analysis then you must doubt his accuracy.

Refer to my earlier remark as regards evidence

But then YOUR track record indicated that any critique of your beloved country is always wrong. I'll not worry about your rather pathetic insults to me and others who have the temerity to fail to bow down the the sacred cow that is New Zealand.

And YOUR track record of rudeness, arrogance and intolerance ain't that flash either pal...pots and kettles!

I have seen the analysis on television. Some of the 40 odd alleged missed offences were, IMO immaterial, but at least half of them were blatant, clear and obvious offenses that should have been pinged. Blind Freddy could have seen them, but the trouble was, he didn't

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Only one person is making attacks! The rest of us have discussed GH's comments.

So you don't think that "But then YOUR track record indicated that any critique of your beloved country is always wrong. I'll not worry about your rather pathetic insults to me and others who have the temerity to fail to bow down the the sacred cow that is New Zealand." is an attack? really?