Sir Graham Henry's biography...

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
And Ian has me summed up pretty well - I am no friend of the monarchy, of god, or of privilege in any form, I support free speech to the extent that I would not try to prevent even exteme idiots like holocaust deniers or Islamist extremists, or fundamentalist Christians, telling us what they think - I believe that only by listening to idiocy and extreme political and superstitious views can you be aware of them and take steps to nullify any threat they pose. Let them condemn themselves out of their own mouths.

You sound like Christopher Hitchens returned. My thoughts exactly. Perhaps I have misjudged you.

We actually got rid of the titles a few years ago, but they were brought back by popular demand by the new government a few years ago. I kinda like them, provided they are not just given to business people who have made shit loads of money for themselves like Sir Michael Fay.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
provided they are not just given to business people who have made shit loads of money for themselves like Sir Michael Fay.

Please do not tar us all with their brush !

Michael Fay (and David Richwhite) are not businessmen in my view. They are typical examples of the 'bankers / financial dealers / oligarchs' who made millions or even billions in the 1980s & 1990s from the poorly regulated financial markets and the stripping of assets during a headlong global governmental rush to privatise too many services at vastly underpriced commercial values.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Ian - you're welcome to the whole boiling.

How much do want to take them off our hands? I can run to a fiver....

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you have a Royal Army as well?
We don't have a royal army (all that history, regiments that belonged to aristocrats, regiments that were ex militian, regiments who fought on the side of parliament etc etc, so no royal army for us - -we have a British Army), but I can't see why New Zealand coudln't have a royal army if it wanted.

No. Your Army has the same setup as ours. It not the Army itself that carries the Royal titles (warrants) but its component Corps, e.g. Royal Artillery (Royal NZ Artillery), Royal Engineers (Royal NZ Engineers), Royal Infantry (Royal NZ Infantry)

http://www.army.mil.nz/our-army/structure/corps/default.htm

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No. Your Army has the same setup as ours. It not the Army itself that carries the Royal titles (warrants) but its component Corps, e.g. Royal Artillery (Royal NZ Artillery), Royal Engineers (Royal NZ Engineers), Royal Infantry (Royal NZ Infantry)

http://www.army.mil.nz/our-army/structure/corps/default.htm

so, all the Corps are Royal.
I wonder why they didn't go the whole hog and have a Royal NZ Army. Is it purely and simply to avoid oneupmanship over the British Army?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We have a government that regularly makes Right Royal Farkups.
Does that count?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Really good teams have a plan B when things do not go your way. From 95 they were caught out with one. Plan B is when decisions do not go your way or your tactics is not really working. 2007 McCaw was still a bit green as well but 4 years later he showed how much he learned from it

SA didn't in the 1/4 final, how can you possibly say they would've beaten the All Blacks. Especially after the performance the ABs put in against the Aussies.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
SA didn't in the 1/4 final, how can you possibly say they would've beaten the All Blacks. Especially after the performance the ABs put in against the Aussies.

Are you talking about 2011? That is why we went out early. NZ had one and they won it with ugly rugby. If your talking about 2007 I am afraid you are mistaken as we clearly changed to it when Fiji pulled level with 20 to go.

And I did not say SA would have beaten NZ in 2011. We had no chance of doing it. Was referring to 1995

Last edited:

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I am so dissapointed with the attitudes shown on this thread. Especially from a couple of people who I had a lot of respect for until I read the thread today. I might head over to planet rugby for some slightly more intelligent and unbiased chat.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't they have a rule over there at Planet Rugby about trolling on other forums?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't they have a rule over there at Planet Rugby about trolling on other forums?

Planet Rugby? Rules on trolling?

Laughing.jpg

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Planet Rugby? Rules on trolling?

Laughing.jpg

As I understand it, if you haven't shown an aptitude for trolling within the first 100 posts, a user's account is liable to be deleted. Generally this rule is only enforced on Kiwi's and the Irish though.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
GH claimed, in an interview on The Rugby Club last night, that he counted approximately 40 MISSED penalties by WB in 2007 match with the froggies. That's one every 2 minutes apart from the ones that WB blew.
I find that either (a) Extraordinary or (b) A match review with a very bias view

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I assume that GH is simply too used to posting on Planet Rugby.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Perhaps he should post the details so that we can all check. After all if WB was that bad, he must have missed a lot for France as well ...

It is also a major criticism of Paddy O'Brien, since IIRC he said WB had 6 errors in about 600 decisions.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
GH has been doing the rounds here promoting his book whilst in Australia for the first leg of the Bledisloe Cup. He has repeated several times what seems to be a standard response now (I suppose you can only answer the same questions so many ways without changing the meaning/context of the answer), that at that stage he had coached 250 games and 249 were basically the same whilst this semi-final was off the planet.
Incredibly, I have never seen a replay of the 2007 semi-final but am now compelled to track down a copy. I would love to see where an elite level referee could allegedly miss 40 penalty offences and still get the backing of POB.
While 90% of what GH usually says is pretty sound stuff, I find it hard to believe that from an unbias view that WB could have been as bad as he makes out. Maybe with the current debate triggered by his book, Fox Sports may show a replay on pay tv.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Perhaps he should post the details so that we can all check. After all if WB was that bad, he must have missed a lot for France as well ...

It is also a major criticism of Paddy O'Brien, since IIRC he said WB had 6 errors in about 600 decisions.

To be fair, if you buy the book he lists all 40. Can't be much fairer than that.

(Although to be honest I wouldn't buy the book, it is a very poor book which brushes over his whole life far too quickly. It really should have been a 2-parter (1 pre Lions Tour and 1 after. It is also lacking in any significant insights about players or other coaches).

bodybyvi

Banned
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
i dont think it was a food poisoning but this is actually not happening.