Some positives

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
My spiritual guru tells me that he is trying to be more positive. I like that idea. There were many good things from the opening weekend of Rugby here in Indiana. So, instead of bashing IRB panel refs, complaining about players/ coaches/spectators and other negatives, I am going to list some good things from the weekend.

1. I stopped in and saw over 1000 people at a school with nearly a dozen youth(U-14, U-12 and U-10) teams playing yesterday. Lots of confused parents, but plenty of happy kids.

2. Ten new referees took the pitch this weekend and everyone got watched.

3. Stoo48 and his family came to my house for burgers. He brought English beer. His son learned two American words- Mom and backyard. His kids got to have some cookie cake.

4. After two cancellations, I got to ref a match. Several of the players from both teams are involved in the statewide All-Star team and are all friends now. Without Rugby, none of these guys would ever meet given the socioeconomic differences. The flanker of the home side put a crushing tackle in on the 10 for the visitors. Both came up grinning from ear to ear.

This is a great sport that we are priveleged to be a part of. It has given me a lot. I am glad to be able to give back even a little bit as a ref.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Couldn't agree more, though I am disturbed the way my son is talking after only 4 days here......

So much youth rugby available over here and the only way is forward.

Burgers were great, my kids even tried fishing, could have been worse, could have been shooting.....

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
the pope told you to start thinking that way? :)

Just got off phone with..

Referees in America
Post Likes
Sorry I am late to this collective Kumbayah. Barker obviously can't find a lot of positive minded people in this bunch. I will add my versuses of positives from this past weekend to his list:

1. I got referee coaching for the first time in 18 months and see the prospect of getting more this season (years of begging and helping create the solution might actually pay off)

2. This is the first Spring of rugby in 3 years that I am not going in to completely worried about scheduling in our state. I am a bit worried, but it isn't my problem this year; now that's a good feeling!

3. I got to coach a referee on Saturday. I love refereeing, but I love being able to make a difference for another referee as well.

4. After years of hearing about the great dialogue on RugbyRefs.com, I have finally joined, and I love my username...

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Welcome, though your name did make me think you were a spammer.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Couldn't agree more, though I am disturbed the way my son is talking after only 4 days here......

So much youth rugby available over here and the only way is forward.

Burgers were great, my kids even tried fishing, could have been worse, could have been shooting.....
Enjoying your FB postings!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Today I went and helped with a girls tournament where none of them had so much as heard of Ellery Hanley or Martin Offiah. I've never had so much fun while trying to herd cats.