Some score that is !!

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Rugby Rovigo went down to a spirited display by Cardiff Blues last night losing by 104 - 12 ! Yes you read that correctly 104 - 12

The Blues scored a total of 104 points with 12 different try scorers and Gareth Anscombe kicking 7 conversions with Gareth Davies coming on at HT and kicking a further 5 conversions.

Match Report courtesy of the Blues website:

http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/7456.php

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Not as bad as Manchester who lost 148-0 to Esher during their implosion.

They sufferered at least 10 scores of 100 or more against them in the three seasons from 08/09 to 10/11 as the were relegeated from the old Nat One (level 2) to the regional leagues. The RFU web site ought to have their scores in the following seasons if I could make it work, but I seem to recall they were not much better, but they avoided three figures. They have finally found a level in South Lancs/ Cheshire where they have actually begun to win games and are mid table.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not as bad as Manchester who lost 148-0 to Esher during their implosion.

They sufferered at least 10 scores of 100 or more against them in the three seasons from 08/09 to 10/11 as the were relegeated from the old Nat One (level 2) to the regional leagues. The RFU web site ought to have their scores in the following seasons if I could make it work, but I seem to recall they were not much better, but they avoided three figures. They have finally found a level in South Lancs/ Cheshire where they have actually begun to win games and are mid table.
Post 10/11 they did win the occasional game, but still shipped some big scores, and got relegated.

I admired their spirit. When everything went pear-shaped, they decided to accept big losses rather than drop out and have to restart at the bottom.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Rovigo battled and never gave up. The ref had a tidy game. Hew lacked a bit of empathy at the end when he carded a Rovigo player for a deliberate knock on with about 8 minuites to go and the score in the 90s.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hew lacked a bit of empathy at the end when he carded a Rovigo player for a deliberate knock on with about 8 minuites to go and the score in the 90s.

At that level 'empathy' isn't expected, or wanted by me.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
My match yesterday was 102-0. Maintaining standards right to the end was seen as a plus point by my assessor.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Rovigo battled and never gave up. The ref had a tidy game. Hew lacked a bit of empathy at the end when he carded a Rovigo player for a deliberate knock on with about 8 minuites to go and the score in the 90s.

It is professional rugby and so yellow cards are logged. Score in 90s is immaterial to the referee's decision making process.

Whether it is the first or last minute a deliberate knock on gets a YC even at RFU L5 or 6 through to 10 a 11.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It is professional rugby and so yellow cards are logged. Score in 90s is immaterial to the referee's decision making process.

Whether it is the first or last minute a deliberate knock on gets a YC even at RFU L5 or 6 through to 10 a 11.

That is a true as "elite referees ensure that crooked feeds are pinged". It really does not happen that often. In fact in two Euro games I've watched this season (where the score was critically close) no cards were issued to player committing the offence.

It could have been managed better with a word (if you don't like the word empathy) to the player. For me it spoiled a good display by the ref. I'm not suggesting that he ignore the offence but was the cardreally required? I felt not, a did the crowd to a man.

consistencty again is not maintained. Here a bunch of semi pros were being hopelessly outclassed. For me it was poor. But then perhaps only the really big boys get empathy.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It could have been managed better with a word (if you don't like the word empathy) to the player. For me it spoiled a good display by the ref. I'm not suggesting that he ignore the offence but was the card really required? I felt not, a did the crowd to a man.

consistencty again is not maintained. Here a bunch of semi pros were being hopelessly outclassed. For me it was poor. But then perhaps only the really big boys get empathy.

They may have been outclassed, but its not inconsistency? I see deliberate slap downs getting YCd all the time, so in this example the referee is alligned with the majority. The other cases you mention are the inconsistency, not this one.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is a deliberate cynical office and must be pemalised and where appropriate carded. In RFU land a match observer would expect that to happen.
I cannot comment on other countries and their match officials.
Scrum half scrum feeds are a totally different matter.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
They may have been outclassed, but its not inconsistency? I see deliberate slap downs getting YCd all the time, so in this example the referee is alligned with the majority. The other cases you mention are the inconsistency, not this one.

Definition:

constantly adhering to the same principles. If some give yellow and some do not, it is inconsistent. You can't have some consistent and some not. Some can be correct and some not but that is a different point.

It is a deliberate cynical office and must be pemalised and where appropriate carded. In RFU land a match observer would expect that to happen.
I cannot comment on other countries and their match officials.
Scrum half scrum feeds are a totally different matter.

The feed is an issue that WR have stated it to be Zero tollerance. Yet it is clear that it is being ignored. I've not seen a Zero tollerance edict for Deliberate knock ons. So whilst thy are different offences there is a relevance in that elite referees are chosing what to act upon and what to ignore.

Scrum feeds are the most cynical and deliberate offences in the game.

Not all deliberate knock ons are beign refereed the same and that include in the English system. If you think differently Then your are watching a very small sample of games.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The sanction for a deliberate knock or throw into touch is a penalty.
The sanction for a crooked feed is a Free Kick.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not all deliberate knock ons are beign refereed the same and that include in the English system. If you think differently Then your are watching a very small sample of games.

Fair point if you've joined the definition police, so, in a show of solidarity toward the movement.....

Maybe they aren't as obvious as you suggest, your statement requires 'mind reading' of all of the referees utilising their 'judgement' on each of the occasions you view,

if you have that skill then all power to your elbow

Last edited: