Spectator entering field of play

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just at Pro games. It is a criminal offence to enter the playing field or it's perimeter.

Dog & Duck won't actually have any spectators, so it's a mute point (or is that the Black Swan?).
Football (Offences) Act 1991

4. Going onto the playing area
It is an offence for a person at a designated football match to go onto the playing area, or any area adjacent to the playing area to which spectators are not generally admitted, without lawful authority or lawful excuse (which shall be for him to prove).

"Designated footall match"?
In this Act a “designated football match” means an association football match designated, or of a description designated, for the purposes of this Act by order of the Secretary of State.
Any such order shall be made by statutory instrument which shall be subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Of course sometimes people aren't prosecuted. :cool:

That's me in the hat :wow:

Hoping to repeat this VERY soon. Two more points required for the Premiership :biggrin:

View attachment 1126

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But, as we all know, often at lower level games you can be a lonely spectator on the opposite side of the pitch to the ref, who might be the only official and unsighted of a skinny little 9 being pummeled by a burly lock. Irrespective of the LoG, I believe we all have a responsibility as citizens to intervene in the defence of those unable to protect themselves, using minimum force as necessary. Assault is a crime and it is a duty to try to prevent crimes being carried out.

Each case on its own merits of course, but for me it is better to intervene and prevent somebody getting hurt rather than stand and watch happy in the knowledge that you won't get a ban for encroaching on the FoP.

That probably wouldn't happen if the 9's weren't gobby little sh*ts.

Not that I played lock at all...